Trusted Contributor

Air Innovations 1.6 Gallon Ultrasonic Humidifier

Is this a good humidifier and a good deal ? 

My husband I were just talking  about how we needed a humidifier but I have  not started to do my " search " yet ~ saw this and it seems good 

Honored Contributor

Re: Air Innovations 1.6 Gallon Ultrasonic Humidifier

[ Edited ]

I don't have that one but I do own two other AI humidifiers and I think they work very well. Mine are fairly old but still work great. I have hard water here so I like to buy those additional AI hard-filters and that way I don't get the white dust on everything. You can also use DI water but as much as I use mine, I'd rather just fill them with regular tap water and let the hard-water filters take care of the minerals. My humidifiers have to be filled from the bottom and hold about 1.5 gal. I can run them on low all day and usually refill about every couple of days. My room is big so I have two of them going at the same time. I also bought a separate humidity gauge ('hygrometer' for less than $10) to monitor the level in my house. I find that the humidity reading on the AI is not very accurate.

Mine look like this:

images.jfif

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have one and need it because of my dry eyes. I also have the hard water filter and used tap water as indicated and still always had a layer of white dust all over everything. It will get into electronic appliances, as well. Had to recently have a DVD cleaned inside because of it. I would recommend using distilled water, like I've now switched to. Pain in the neck, but worth it to avoid all that white dust everywhere.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

I have one and need it because of my dry eyes. I also have the hard water filter and used tap water as indicated and still always had a layer of white dust all over everything. It will get into electronic appliances, as well. Had to recently have a DVD cleaned inside because of it. I would recommend using distilled water, like I've now switched to. Pain in the neck, but worth it to avoid all that white dust everywhere.

@morganjen  Do all humidifiers produce this white dust ? or just this brand ?

Esteemed Contributor

I would read the reviews on these before selecting.  I was set to order one in the fall, then read a lot of reviews that the base leaked.  I am unhappy with my Air Innovations fan so don’t think I’d order another of their products.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have two Air Innovations humidifiers - earlier models, but similar.  I love them!

I do not have hard water. nor do I ever have white dust around the units.  One unit is in the bedroom, one in the living room.  I use tap water.  

Mine fill from the bottom and I am regular about keeping them refilled, periodically cleaning and letting them dry out when not in use - not much maintenance, just common sense when there is water in an enclosed space.  HTH

Edited:  never a leak

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

All ultrasonic humidifiers take water and whatever else is in the water, in this case hard-water minerals, and produce micro particles of those things (dust and water droplets)  into the air. So if you do not use hard water in a humidifier then there won't be white dust created by the humidifier. Some humidifiers have what is called demineralizing filters or cartridges that remove hard water minerals if you use hard water from your tap.  Some filters are more effective than others. 

I use hard water from my tap and I find that the AI hard water filters work fine. How well they work depends on how hard your water is and how frequently you change the filter. Some people need to change them more frequently than others depending on how much use the humidifier gets plus how hard the water is. @CoastalGal

Contributor

I have one, different model, and I like it. Mine fills from the top which is very convenientl. I waited to get one that was a top fill. Mine also has an extention for the nozzle so it could sit on the floor and still put the mist out high enough, or it can be put on a table. No leaking so far.

Trusted Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I have two Air Innovations humidifiers - earlier models, but similar.  I love them!

I do not have hard water. nor do I ever have white dust around the units.  One unit is in the bedroom, one in the living room.  I use tap water.  

Mine fill from the bottom and I am regular about keeping them refilled, periodically cleaning and letting them dry out when not in use - not much maintenance, just common sense when there is water in an enclosed space.  HTH

Edited:  never a leak

Is it a pain that they fill from the bottom vs the top?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CoastalGal

Top-fill vs bottom-fill...

...if you have dexterity issues or you find that lifting anything heavier than a gallon jug, or so, of milk then a top-fill model might be more appropriate for you. However, with top-fill models it's easy to just keep filling them without emptying them completely when the water gets low and this can lead to a dirty tank where that might become a problem. So with any top-fill model, you need to empty them when they get low and not just refill them in order to keep them somewhat clean.

...if you can lift a gallon of milk, just slightly heavier than that, then a bottom-fill shouldn't be a problem.  Some people complain that they leak but I have never had mine leak at any time. What is important here is that you make sure the cap is tightly screwed back on...this is where some people were not doing that correctly.  The cap needs to be tight but don't use a wrench...just your hands.