Frequent Contributor

Re: Air Fryers-Are They Worth Having?

My thought in regards to AirFryers is reduce items on my kitchen counter!! Had an Air Fryer in the past but since I had it stored away elsewhere in my kitchen, it never got used. Had been thinking of buying a combination toaster oven/ air fryer combo recently, so I can rid my counter of the standard toaster. They all seem to have a toaster preset. However, I see no toaster preset on TSV. Therefore, I will pass!!

Honored Contributor

We have a multi function one that we use at least once a day if not more

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Elbelle Thanks for your post -  I haven't shopped for a new stove for some years, so sometime in the next year, I believe one will be a part of a kitchen remodel.  Didn't even think about looking for an air-fryer option, but with my space, it would be a better option than a separate one.  I have a fair amount of counter space, but it's not really all good for everyday appliances.

Frequent Contributor

I have one. I don't care or it. It dries out everything. I'd rather use a micro wave or my toaster oven.

Honored Contributor

They really are renamed convection ovens.  Wouldn't do without one.   

Regular Contributor

This will be my second one and bought Daughter and  her husband  one which we all use everyday. I live alone and really this is all I use anymore forget the oven. Todays TSV is the one I ordered .I use the air fryer for everything could not be without one.

Honored Contributor

I have a Ninja 5.5 Qt. traditional (basket) air fryer and use it every day, several times a day.  I love it.  I air fry everything from toast, salmon (best, most tender salmon I have ever eaten, in 5 minutes!), vegetables, sausages, hamburgers, roasted potatoes, egg frittatas (I use a small frittata pan that I already owned), chicken cutlets, chicken wings, etc.  Add to that, I use it to reheat leftovers.  

I only use my microwave for the 10 to 15 seconds to reheat my tea or coffee about once a week.

I do not use my air fryer for steaks, ribs, or pork chops, no matter how good they claim it cooks them.  I want a particular sear on my steak to make it the best tasting, in my opinion.  

The reason I'll pass on the TSV is that I have no desire to cook everything at one time in that small space.  I want my salmon to taste like salmon and my asparagus to taste like asparagus.  Whatever you cook on the top rack drips down to the lower racks.  At the very least, the flavors all circulate together.  

Air frying is already very quick; I am not going to muddle all my flavors for the sake of cutting the cooking from 30 minutes to 15 minutes.  

Contributor

I was going to say this as well.  The air fryer has all the heat come from the top vs a convection comes from top and bottom and the air fryer doesn't require preheating.  But they are basically the same.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I absolutely love mine and use it almost daily.  Its not just for frozen food; I  have the cooks essential 5 quart one.  I love it for salmon, hamburgers, bacon, steak, pork chops, pork tenderloin, chicken, etc. Of course frozen fries and frozen Heartland Fresh Chicken are cooked in mine weekly.  Great for reheating leftovers too.  Doesn't dry things out like the microwave.  I rarely use my oven anymore.  I leave mine out on the counter and like I said use it all the time.  Mine just has the basket, not tiers like the tsv.  I like mine; basket is just one thing to clean and I wouldn't use the rotisserie.

Honored Contributor

Wouldn't be without mine. We have a small one because I generally make one or two servings. Anything you like a little crunchy comes out perfectly. They are great for chicken nuggets, tator tots, onion rings, egg rolls, garlic bread,  and even reheating a slice of pizza. My only disasters came from breaded cheese curds and mozzarella sticks. To be fair, the instructions said not to put those in an air fryer, but I had to try!