Respected Contributor

We have the 900 series, bought as a tsv about a year ago. Our home is small, 1250 sq ft. Three carpeted rooms. We call our machine Buzz. He follows a pattern for cleaning, based on the initial "mapping" when you first get the robot. Things I like are: fairly quiet, easy to empty the bin (2-3x during a full house run); no issues with area rugs, goes over extra dirty areas more than once. He takes about two hours for the entire house, as there is a period of recharging. 
Lately I've been moving chairs and bar stools around differently than when the initial mapping was done. I think this has "confused" Buzz. He isn't going to the areas where I moved the furniture with being picked up and placed there. I'm guessing that Buzz needs to re-map the house based on my changes. Or maybe he will automatically figure it out if I keep things consistent. Not really a problem. Just an observation. 
Also, a round robot cannot thoroughly clean in corners. If you're not picky about that, ok. Sometimes I use a broom to get in there. No big deal. It picks up all the dog hair without tangling or clogging. I have significant arthritis in my hands. This machine is a blessing. Using a regular vacuum would now be difficult and painful. 
I recommend the iRobot. 

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@spent2much    Have you had to replace your batteries?  If so, how long did they last and how much did they cost?  The batteries on all rechargeable appliances have a limited lifespans and can be very expensive. 

Imho you nailed it @Kachina624 !  I've had the Roomba and also the Dyson stick vacs.  Both are now sitting downstairs waiting to be taken to the dump!  Once the batteries go, forget it!  Last I checked it was $70 to $100 on amazonsmile to replace each battery.  And, checking with a pro, once replaced they only last for about a year.  So, you get a few good years out of them, depending on usage; then, caput!

He did tell me there's a "motorized" vac out now -- cordless, no batteries needed; but, was on his way to another job and didn't go into detail.  That's something I'd like to look into.  I really miss my Roomba and my Dyson stick.  But after the cost and lifespan of both, will not buy again.

Respected Contributor

Unless yu want all of the bells and whistles I went with the shark from BJ's. It was I think 150 on sale and got great write ups. I dont know if it's stull on sale. We got ours in December. 

Respected Contributor

Well. After the glowing reviews I just left, I decided to vacuum. Robot gave an error message seconds after leaving the docking station. Error was something to do with the bin. "Open the app for instructions" did that. Bin and filter are clean as instructed. Continue to get the error message. D*mn thing will not go. I had to use my Dirt Devil stick vacuum. Ok job of cleaning but you have to handle the dirt and debris to get it off of the filter. Eww next time I'll wear gloves. Anyway after reading the earlier posts about the high cost of battery replacement, I'm rethinking the roomba. I don't mind a corded machine if it's not real heavy. Now I feel like why did we spend $700 for this if it's going to be problematic after a year. And be costly to maintain. 😠

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@JackieHN wrote:

Unless yu want all of the bells and whistles I went with the shark from BJ's. It was I think 150 on sale and got great write ups. I dont know if it's stull on sale. We got ours in December. 

@JackieHN   I have a problem with a company whose philosophy is "replace" don't "repair".  All of Shark's vaccums are basically not repairable. 1

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother    So sorry to hear about your errant Roomba.  Call their CS tomorrow and describe the problem.  They offer great help. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have two and I love them. Had them for around 3-4 years. Still going strong.