Honored Contributor

Re: AMAZON TSV- not for me!

[ Edited ]

We watch very few channels on tv, probably less than half a dozen.  Every year the cable bill $200 monthly with premium channels, $150 without.  Yes, I'm looking at the TSV.

@ellaphant  We do have Alexa and I thought it would be a nuisance when my husband purchased.  It has become very handy and a wonderful convenience...a really pleasant surprise.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 You don't need to DVR if it's movies you're interested in.  They all play on demand.  They sit there at your service ready to play 24/7/365.  If you're a night owl, they're ready all night.  Lots of documentaries and travelogues too.  No commercials on Amazon Video or Netflix.  Roku does have commercials on its movies.

I guess that's the problem I have.  I usually don't watch movies.  I watch a lot of Food TV, ID discovery, HGTV and TLC.  I'm understanding that there is no system other than cable TV that includes capacity for recording and replaying shows??

Honored Contributor

@pdlinda. Satellite TV has the capacity to record and replay programming.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Re: AMAZON TSV- not for me!

[ Edited ]

@pdlinda--Most streaming services now include a DVR function (in the cloud). It just depends on which service you pick and whether that service offers DVR for the particular channels you're interested in recording. I have Directv Now and just used it last night to record Nashville on CMT. As far as I know, it's not the streaming device you buy that offers DVR, it's the streaming service you choose. Make a list of the channels you want and then go to each of the services out there to see if they have your channels, which devices work with their service, and whether they have DVR service (and if they do, can you record the channels you're interested in. Just because they have DVR, that doesn't mean you can use it with every channel).

Some of the services are Philo-$16/mo (has DVR but no use of FireTV), Hulu live TV-$39.99 (has DVR and can use Roku and Fire TV), Directv Now-packages starting at $35 (can use both devices and has DVR, plus if you prepay, you can get a free device), YouTube TV-$40 (has DVR but no Fire TV), and so many others. Sling, Playstaion Vue, and a new one from ATT--ATT Watch TV $15/mo as a standalone service (free if you have certain wireless plans), but no DVR service. Have fun checking then all out. Streaming is saving me a bunch of money.

Frequent Contributor

I cut the cord (FINALLY) 3 weeks ago.  I was spending $150.00 a month for cable, internet and phone (which I never used).  I have a fire stick and just subscribed to Dirctv Now.  Directv Now has every channel I watch and you can dvr it to the cloud to watch later.  I have the 35+ channel and right now it is $10.00 a month for 3 months then $35. You can cancel anytime but so far so good for me.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@pdlinda. Satellite TV has the capacity to record and replay programming.

For my plan, I would have to pay extra for that and probably get into another contract for 2 years.   I'm dropping satellite.

Honored Contributor

I am one of the least tech savvy person on the planet.   I do have a smartphone but guess what?  I use it like a phone, LOL

I just dropped satellite TV, going with high speed unlimited internet and what sold me on the Fire Stick was the portability of it.   When the grandkids visit I can use it on a TV just for them.   I can't handle those crazy cartoons they watch.  I can also take it with me when I travel..

I don't care much for the voice capability but I guess I'll get used to it.

Honored Contributor

I'm not willing to give up my satellite TV even though it's a pain when the rain comes.  I'm a channel flipper.  Plus, it seems the streaming services don't carry live college football which I enjoy.  Still, the biggest drawback of the TSV is the electrical cord.  We spent good money to have someone mount our TV on the wall with the cords hidden in the wall, so I'm not interested in adding a device that has a cord hanging from it.

Contributor

Most young(er) people dont have cable.  Thats the future, but not necessarily the QVC viewing audience. I spoke to a 50+ year old woman the other day frustrated about paying over $100 for a cable package.  The faux cable streaming services like DirectVNow, Sling TV, Vue, YouTube TV, Hulu Live etc are usually $40 or less.  Otherwise most people dont watch live tv - They have Hulu ...Or they split a Netflix account and for five bucks each have more TV than they could ever watch.  Otherwise, get a $20 indoor antenna and get all your local channels (and digital sub channels ) for free - .  Most older people cant be bothered - even if it will save them money.  They think its too complicated.

Personally, dont care for the Amazon products.  Google Home/Chromecast is better and works well with both Android and even iOS.  You often dont realize how much better something can be because you dont use it.  Hues lights, for example, can not only be turned on by voice but you can use the app to turn the lights on (or off) when youre not home.  

Contributor

FYI, many of the streaming services DO HAVE DVR capabilities.  They might not be the same as your cable company but its A LOT cheaper.  Also if you subscribe to something like SLING or DIRECTV NOW, they usually give you sign in privileges so you can go to the individual network app and watch anything there at any time. (So you dont even need a DVR) - That includes the broadcast networks like ABC, NBC etc.  This is the future .  But eventually if you have to pay for every channel/app individually , it may end up costing as much as the current cable bills