Super Contributor

Re: 8Greens TSV - Vitamin K

[ Edited ]

@luvqvc15wrote:

I urge you to go to the 8Greens website. You can read more about the product and they have an 800 number for customer service and medical inquiries. They should have the answer to your question about Vitamin K and blood thinners. Also, you may know this, but although the chemical symbol for potassium is K, it is definitely not the same thing as Vitamin K. At least one persons responding to your post seemed to be confused about this. Good luck! Smiley Happy 

@luvqvc15- thanks for the clarification and correction. I should know better than to post about something in the middle of the night if it requires critical thinking skills.Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@2blondewrote:

@MizKringlewrote:

I saw another post on the Q site about potassium and the TSV. The poster indicated that she suspected that this product had a lot of potassium that interferred with her coumadin and that her cardiologist told her to stop taking it immediately. As for what is listed on the label, I don't know what the federal requirements are about this, but I suspect that they don't have to identify all of the vitamins and minerals, but what they do list is supposed to be what is actually in the product. When I looked at the label, I was suprised at the short list of nutrients. I would have expected that with all of those vegetables, there would be a lot more nutrients present. My guess is that if you are on a blood thinner, then you should not take it.

I've never heard of potassium as a blood thinner.  Potassium is in nearly every fruit and vegetable we eat, and it's essential to heart health and maintaining proper blood pressure.

Coumadin is the blood thinner. 

Honored Contributor

@LipstickdivaI almost ordered this a few months ago.  I also cannot tolerate sorbitol so I didn't order.  Also, many reviews said it tastes terrible.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlzwrote:

@elruth 

I found this info on another site for 8Greens. Doesn't look like there is any Vit K in it.

@elruth @Mayfayre

No it does not list Vit K on the label but you will get if from the broccoli, kale & spinach. You need to do your research when taking supplements with your prescription drugs.

Broccoli & Kale are also Goitrogenic Foods which are not good if you have a Thyroid condition.

I don't like that it shows 686 mg of greens. I would like to see the breakdown on how many mg or mcg for each green.

Spinach 483 mcg for 100 g serving

Kale 1,062.1 mcg per cup

Broccoli

92 mcg per 1 cup chopped raw

220 mcg per cup fresh boiled & drained

162 mcg per cup frozen boiled & drained

I find it interesting that they show all that broccoli in the presentation, but I don't see it listed at all on this label.  

Trusted Contributor

I tried the 8greens a couple months ago but the taste made me gag so I had to return them. 

Regular Contributor

Re: 8Greens TSV - Vitamin K

[ Edited ]

Thanks to everyone who replied.  Researching this further, spinach, kale, spirulina, chlorella, wheatgrass and blue green algae are all definitely high in Vitamin K. Aloe vera can have a laxative effect,  which is not good if you're on Coumadin/Warfarin. Barley grass is an unknown quantity re interaction with C/W

So if this was consumed by someone on Coumadin/Warfarin on a daily basis, it would seem to lower their PT/INR levels and thicken their blood to the point that their medication dosage would have to be upped. For folks not on this blood thinner med, the presence or absence of Vitamin K in this product is,  of course, immaterial. 

So for me, while this seems to be a good way to get greens,  I will be staying away from it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Daysdee I can attest to the taste, YUCK, the tablets never dissolved like they are showing on air either!  When I ordered these the items # is no longer valid, but there were pages and pages of people indicating how YUCKY tasting this is!

Valued Contributor

Ok ..I am a total health fanatic.....this product does not say ORGANIC.  I also had a disease and want my stuff to be organic..  Costco has alll the veggies frozen.  Throw it in vitamix with plant based protein from the same store.

Respected Contributor

@Mayfayre That made me laugh at hitting the wrong key..Smiley Happy

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Esteemed Contributor

@cbrite

it is sweetened with stevia extract which I cannot tolerate because it’s too sweet and butter