Honored Contributor

Re: $50.00 for Fake Flowers???

If I thought these could hold up to the Florida sun for longer than 1 season I may consider them. However , I highly doubt they could. I'm sure they would be faded and nasty after only a few months , so for that reason they are too expensive.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have purchased two sets of BL TSV baskets similar to this one and they held up really well.  The ones I bought from QVC two years ago, still have life in them.  I have the red hibiscus set and they look great.  I have fooled my friends. Seems like I have to replace the batteries at least three times/season. So about 24 D-cells for the season gets expensive.  I see that these have 2 C-cells/plant, so this is an upgrade for sure.  

I liked them for the front porch overhang because you don't have to worry about watering them from above.  The birds also like to build nests in them.  I have learned not to put them out too early.  I wait until all of the nests have been built for the spring.  Otherwise, the birds mess all over the front porch and railing.

I do not like this TSV compared to the other arrangements, so I am passing this year.  One of the battery boxes hinge snapped off of the set that I have. I have to secure it tightly with a pony-tail tie (or similar object).

The price is fine and the shipping is far less than it was when I have purchased them in the past.

Respected Contributor

I just saw the the shipping is free on this years TSV!  In the past, I think that I paid at least $7.95/plant.  So this is a much better value today then in the past.

Trusted Contributor

@jpie wrote:

I have purchased two sets of BL TSV baskets similar to this one and they held up really well.  The ones I bought from QVC two years ago, still have life in them.  I have the red hibiscus set and they look great.  I have fooled my friends. Seems like I have to replace the batteries at least three times/season. So about 24 D-cells for the season gets expensive.  I see that these have 2 C-cells/plant, so this is an upgrade for sure.  

I liked them for the front porch overhang because you don't have to worry about watering them from above.  The birds also like to build nests in them.  I have learned not to put them out too early.  I wait until all of the nests have been built for the spring.  Otherwise, the birds mess all over the front porch and railing.

I do not like this TSV compared to the other arrangements, so I am passing this year.  One of the battery boxes hinge snapped off of the set that I have. I have to secure it tightly with a pony-tail tie (or similar object).

The price is fine and the shipping is far less than it was when I have purchased them in the past.

Yes regarding the birds.  Husband and I call this our small contribution to the affordable housing efforts.  We put ours out this week.  And too, while not in the direct sun the colors are pretty vibrant still.

Respected Contributor

@aggravated wrote:

@jpie wrote:

Yes regarding the birds.  Husband and I call this our small contribution to the affordable housing efforts.  We put ours out this week.  And too, while not in the direct sun the colors are pretty vibrant still.

Funny! Affordable housing........You might want to wait until the nest-building frenzy is over. Today,  I saw a robin taking a dead blade of grass (from my trimmed ornamental grass) and flying off to somewhere to build a nest.  At least I know it wasn't my BL arrangements.  I will put them out later in the season (perhaps late May-June) to avoid this. 

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

First, we COULD refer to this as "artificial" flowers. "Fake" implies an attempt to fool or defraud. I seriously doubt that anyone is attempting to do that, no matter how inexpensive or expensive we consider the purchase price. 

Second, a poster who has had them for a while has indicated that they've lasted for four years for her, so for $13/year I can live with it. I don't think "natural" flowers + lights could be bought for $13 per year.

I like the way they look, and they would be perfect on my front porch.

I have to figure out what color would work best for me, and I think I'll go for one or maybe two.

I guess everyone has a budget for what they consider appropriate for various items (like I don't get $300 and $400 purses!), but for what you are getting, the price isn't bad at all.

BL used to do a lot of these, and they were often over $50 even many years ago. I have the older petunia baskets and I'd say mine are at least 7 years old, (could be older than that). They were very full, you did not see the battery box, they lasted for years outdoors on a covered porch (but still got wet and took the hot evening sun), the metal baskets did not rust, and the curb appeal they gave was so valuable. I used to buy live floral baskets at about $30 each per year. These older ones have now broken down to about $5 per year (I put them away in the winter to help keep them nice). They are easy to hose off at the end of the season to remove dust and dirt, let dry, then pack in a box to store in the garage till the following spring. 

If you stick your face close to them, yes, they look artificial. But from a normal distance, most people never guess they aren't real (unless you leave them out in January!). 

I'm super excited to get some new ones, as my old ones are looking a bit tired, but still in tact and usable! 

A word of experienced/caution. Beware of a lot of white in these if using outdoors. I had a red petunia basket and one done in white (they had only one color per basket back then). The red looked fresher and cleaner much longer than the white did. The white showed dirt much sooner, and even thought it could be hosed down and look better, the vibrancy just wasn't as good as the darker color. 

I like some the lighter ones today, but will be getting the purple based on what I saw with the weathering of the white in the past.

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Shop around for a similar item of really pretty faux flower baskets of this size.  This TSV price is quite good.

It's lovely, but I actually do not like lights in my flowers.  I've never understood that pairing -- lights in flower arrangements. 

I rarely used the light unless entertaining. I like them just plain too.

Honored Contributor

At over 6,000 feet above sea level, there is nothing here at my house that doesn't fade in the sun. These fake flowers would last maybe a week, if that, before fading and falling apart from our intense sunlight.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

LED Lighted Morning Glory Hanging Flower Basket

@$14.99 @ collection etc-

I think almost $60.00 is ridiculous too!

or easily make our own!

I don't know where they come up with these prices!

And yes you could find them at Michaels for less.

Sorry but this does't compare to the TSV. It looks cheap and tacky.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought one of these years ago. I loved it.