Trusted Contributor

Re: Temp-rations being phased out?

@hopi

For real?  I've had my Temptations for many years now.  I believe I purchased them when they first came out.  They only had the original green at the time Smiley Happy

They are still beautiful, not chipped, crumbling or broken at all. 

Trusted Contributor

@nana59

I have one piece of vintage Pyrex - the one with the cornflower in the middle of it Smiley Happy

It's a 9" pie plate.  It was my mom's.  I think she bought it in the 70's.  The thing is a workhorse.  I love it - I make my holiday pumpkin pie in it every year and store leftovers in it.

Occasional Contributor

Having read all the comments, I'd just like to say something. There are many fans of Temp-tations, regardless of what any of us think.

If someone offers up suggestions or complaints, there will always be a counter argument and some people get personal about it. I am all for speaking out if products are not of good quality. If this is happening with Temp-tations, Tara needs to know this.

Supposedly, Tara is to offer NEW items, sometime in 2017. For the sake of those who own Temp-tations and have had bad experiences with their pieces, I do hope the NEW pieces will be improved and hold up in people's ovens and not crack, etc, as many have stated.

I also hope Tara breaks with her usual designs (Please God!) and offers NEW designs for those of us who want NON FLORAL pieces, such as stripes or solid pieces with textured (not Old World or Floral Lace) designs. It is time.

Twice I have written Tara's website (where they receive questions), asking if she would consider other designs/solid colors, but I have never received a reply. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Valued Contributor

Nicely said @Cadjia

Frequent Contributor

Agree with @Sueliz - well said, @Cadjia! Very diplomatic. :-) And yes, it would be so nice to see non-floral choices, though I'm not sure that could convince me to try again. I would actually be really tempted (bad pun!) to try pieces that aren't painted. Tara, who seems like a really fun lady, had some really nice pumpkin tureens, if memory serves, last year. One was glazed naturally and the other was tan, I think. They looked very elegant.

The cracking/breaking usually occurs when a spot of glaze is missed, because of the type of stoneware or clay used. It's not tough like porcelain. It happened to me years ago. Goodbye painstakingly made stuffed peppers! Ouch! ;-)

I find the painting to be too poorly done to enjoy it anyway. With hand painting there are always unique qualities, but when some pieces are super faded compared to others, paint is dripping or the stamping is waaaay off, it's more quality control than different styles and abilities. So, all I can think of when I see the shows and the workmanship is, how hard do the poor Chinese laborers work at this factory? It seems as though the work is incredibly rushed, and they may have very strict numbers to keep in order for the factory to offer such low prices. By comparison, Lenox is hand painted in China also, but the work is beautiful. I'm guessing the workers are all talented, the Temptations crew just has to work much faster.

And yes, then there's the Polish pottery! The prices are very high. They make their money on quality, not quantity. Can you imagine their work environment compared to that of the Chinese workers? Night and day I would imagine.

I have a nice collection of vintage Pyrex!! It's held up beautifully. I think they were designed using decals. I found some old magazine ads for some of them that I have framed in the kitchen. :-) You can look through old women's magazines in antique shops (or eBay) for yours!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hmmmm. I have several sets, purchased back around 2012 and 2013. I have the OW Green, OW Spice, and a spring colored round set purchased more recently (lime green and turq pattern). I love them all and have had no issues. BUT my favorite sets are my Poppy (I have the orange ish red one), and my Verona set in terracotta. OMG, STUNNING! This is a solid terracotta set with embossed edges that are antiqued. It came with an antiqued bronzed wire carrying rack. It looks soooooooo expensive! I get compliments on all of my Temptations pcs, but Verona gets the biggest raves!

I, too, wish Tara would add some solid color pcs with either embossing, or maybe flutted edging, etc. The wire carrying racks are a must have for me. I love the quality of the pcs I have, BUT I do find most of the recent patterns and pieces (such as the patterned shelving racks, utensils, etc) a bit tooooooooooo .....? Pennsylvania Dutch or Amish-y? I am sure that design goes well in some decors, but we have a mediterranean style home and , uhm, ...yeah, bring Verona back! Smiley Happy

As to the quality issues, I hope that is not true of all of her current stock! What a shame. Her prices have gone up on the sets, so I would NOT have expected the quality to deminish. That would certainly keep me from purchasing more sets. :/ 

Occasional Contributor

I have a good bit of the Temp-tations in Hot Pink (not really a hot pink more like a carnation or salmon) and some in pumpkin patch.

I also have an extensive collection of Wedgwood stoneware dishes and cookware which truly is oven-table-microwave-freezer appropriate.  I bought temp-tations since my Wedgwood pattern is discontinued and replacing a plate would cost

$30 now, so I would much rather break a temp-tations instead.  The quality has really been hit or miss. Painting at times looks more like a professional stencil and other times looks like a 3 year old did it.  I have had 2 pieces break within a year both of which were round lid-its.  replacing them would have been more than the set cost all together so I just tossed them.

Have had some good experiences - made meatloaf in the tube pan for the holidays and it looked like a christmas wreath - kind of fun....; bake at least once a week in a 13X9 - breakfast caseroles and other one pan meals and no issue; my pyrex didn't perform that well nor did my corningware white.

I am concerned by the inconsistencies and know there are far better quality items on Q - such as Le Creuset stoneware.  I haven't heard if she is bringing back any of the Pink as there are a couple items I would not mind taking a risk on but I am over the fetti - use spring fetti to match - hello, I don't like the lime and orange......that's why I bought the pink.

Not sure if I should chuck it all off to Goodwill and get Fiesta for durable daily wear and tear or not.  Does anyone know about lead content - with pieces made in Asia, I have concerns about their provenance.

I don't think the temp-tations crowd reads these comments and I won't do the  social media route.  I searched Tara's site and absolutely can't stand her website not allowing me to search by color like I can here.

Just be transparent to those of us who purchased.  I can't return it to Q but would be interested in knowing if I have yet another discontinued color.  I am not starting another color in temp-tations.

Please tell us the truth if colors are not going to come back - the truth is preferred versus hyping up a brand that is discontinued (like they did with Liz Claiborne).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's pretty, but I don't own any. I use my old tried and true baking pans that Tara shows in her demonstrations almost every time. I wish they would have Lisa, or the other  rep with dark hair  (who used to do lobstergram) be on air more.

Honored Contributor

I doubt very much it is being phased out.  Some items are being discontinued, but David said there will be a lot more new items coming in.  I think this is too big a money-maker for QVC to stop selling it.  Plus there continues to be more new items--I think she even had Christmas trees.  I'm sure there will be a lot of Christmas TT too.  I have enough, but I do watch a lot of the presentations.  I have held on to my Pyrex and Corning Ware (stored it) in case my TT totally fails.  I haven't bought any new pieces of TT in a few years.

Occasional Visitor

I Love temptations, I hope they keep making sets.  I always give a set for wedding showers.  Everytime I cooked something sticky and really 'baked on", when i wash it, and it washes up so easily, I just smile to myself, and say, "See, just like TV".  It really does wash up so EASY.   My favorite pattern is now Floral Lace, and my fav color is Blue.