Honored Contributor

I am so tempted to get their ceramic stock pot but lots of negative reviews for temp-tations  make me hesitate.  Does anyone have this that can give me a review on theirs?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

I have not had the best of luck with that brand.  I commented recently about one of the baking dishes literally cracking in half in the oven.  I'm sorry but after that experience I think it's junk.  Sure it looks pretty until the color starts to turn grayish after use, but what good is it if it doesn't function?    Get a real stockpot like a LeCrueset, it will last a lifetime.

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie, I like this, too. I looked at the reviews of the other pieces and decided not to buy. There are lots of reports of the enamel chipping and other issues that suggest the life of this pot will be short. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have this pot.  It cooks evenly and it's cute.  It has cleaned up well and I like the versatility - oven or stove use.  I'll be making stuffed peppers in it tonight.  It's a great big size.

There was a Washington Post article a few weeks ago, in the "Local Living" (Thursdays) edition that touted a comeback in this type of product (enamel coated steel).  Appropriate for all styles, it was opined.

Loyalists say, any flaws that may appear on the surface (chipping, primarily) only enhances the "vintage" appeal of the products.  Not known to impair cooking performance.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Stay away from Temp-tations .... there are so many other brands available to choose from that are far superior to Temp-tations 🤭

Honored Contributor

I've seen a lot of enamel coated steel in my day, and it has all been junk. 

It stains easily over time, it chips easily, then rusts. 

It is thin, and can burn easily as well. 

I don't have any of the Temp-tations version of this kind of cookware, but based on how poorly much of the rest of the line has been made, I'd never trust it. 

The reviews are bad for a reason.

Trusted Contributor

@Imaoldhippie, I as well was tempted.  Here Is what I have decided for me.

I no longer will buy temptations to COOK in.  In makes me very nervous to work on a dish than have it sit in the oven for hours to have it crack and then having to throw out the entire dish.  For me , common sense tells me only, just my opinion, that once its happened to you, you never cook with it again.  BUT in saying this, stupidly I still purchase my beautiful BLACK FLORAL LACE items to serve in, put chips and dip in for parties, rolls, side dishes, etc.  For serving now only.  I still love the looks but no more getting it near an oven again.  I hope this helps.

Respected Contributor

I also had a Temptations baking dish fall apart in the oven, so I don’t buy that brand anymore. Any enameled pot worth its salt is going to be expensive and should be considered an investment. I have a couple of Staub 4 or 5 quart enameled pots, a 7 quart LeCreuset enameled Dutch oven and a 12 quart Cuisinart hard anodized stockpot. I like all of them, but use the big stockpot most frequently. I use the Staub and LeCreuset pots when I need to simmer something for a long time (like Hoppin’ John, pot roasts, etc.). They’re really heavy, have excellent heat distribution and clean up nicely. I’ve had the Staubs for over a decade (from QVC) and the LeCreuset for about 3 years (from SurLaTable) and haven’t had any chipping in the enamel. On the con side, they are HEAVY, so I sometimes need my husband to help me move them around when they’re full. The Cuisinart has become my go-to pot for soups, stews, spaghetti sauces, etc. - basically foods that need to cook for a couple of hours, but not all day. It’s hard anodized, non-stick and has large metal handles that don’t get hot. It also has a glass lid with a metal handle that does get hot (go figure). Although it’s lightweight, it conducts the heat very well and I haven’t seen any hot spots in the pot or burnt spots on the meat I’ve cooked in it. The non-stick coating stands up well to metal utensils and I haven’t seen any food beginning to stick as time goes by (I’ve had it for about 6 months and use it at least once a week, if not more frequently). Based on my experience with the baking dish, I can’t recommend Temptations when there are so many other products available at a wide range of prices. 

Respected Contributor

It really turns me off to read a Temptation review of baking macaroni and cheese in the oven, the bakeware cracks in half and the food runs/burns all inside the oven.  Also hard to get the cracked ovenware hot out of the oven. 

Made in China at its finest -- not for me. 

Honored Contributor

I have decided not to buy the stockpot.  I do want a ceramic dutch oven or stockpot.  I have an iron one but cleaning it is a pain in the butt, especially tomato based food.  I have a cheapo ceramic skillet I bought at Wally World, yes its has scratches but it still works great and clean up is so easy.  Think I will check out the ceramic dutch ovens at Walmart.  Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it.

Merry Christmas

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)