Honored Contributor

Re: what tv shows you wish they would get rid of?

none.....i let viewers and advertisers make the decisions.

if i dont like something, i dont watch......there are other viewers that may LOVE a show that i would never watch. no reason for me to wish it gone.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Like most here, I'm in the camp of - I just don't watch the shows I don't like because somebody else likes them, or they'd be gone.   I don't understand the notion of just trying to make everything go away just because one person doesn't like it.

I don't watch many of the shows mentioned here but somebody else does.  I don't see a problem with that.

I never had kids but I guess that's a whole 'nother thing.   I guess people can control what they allow their kids to watch. That makes sense to me.  Smiley Happy  If they can't do that, that is on them not on the rest of the world.

Honored Contributor

I watch what I like, and if I don't care for something, then I just don't watch it. Someone else may like it, just because I don't.....

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

None . . .I just don't watch.

What she said @northiie57 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

@northiie57  It seems most of what is on tv is garbage. Seems like there are really no taleneted writers, But at the top of my list The view and after seeing part of the x rated grasmmy award show I will never watch another one of those filthy thins again, where is the fcc on that.And before i get blasted, I do use the off button  when i feel compelled to do so.

Esteemed Contributor

@northiie57 wrote:

I will start Smiley Happy

My big fat fabulous life

Family Feud with Steve Harvey....too many marathons

Keeping up with the Kerdashians

Ellen

Diners Drive Ins and Dives...too many marathons

all shows that hollywood glamorizes serial killers

Maury

16 and Pregnant

Are you aware that this is the Final Season of the Kardashians? @northiie57 .  I don't even watch it, but I know that because it's been splattered everywhere (as if I care).

Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

Although I appreciate individual choice, if we want a healthy society/world - any shows that glamorize* negativity (ie crime, backstabbing, gossip, arguing, lying, promiscuity, cussing, cheating, etc). You can still have entertainment without it being stale, prudish. 

*not quite the word I'm wanting but can't think of the right one

Then you want shows that don't depict human behavior, then @ThinkingOutLoud .  How would that work, actually?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

Although I appreciate individual choice, if we want a healthy society/world - any shows that glamorize* negativity (ie crime, backstabbing, gossip, arguing, lying, promiscuity, cussing, cheating, etc). You can still have entertainment without it being stale, prudish. 

Then you want shows that don't depict human behavior, then @ThinkingOutLoud .  How would that work, actually?

There's a saying that more people need to keep in mind - "what you feed, grows". Furthermore, there's more to human behavior than the smut, degrading, demoralizing, demeaning, etc. If people want more of what is on the news, then keep supporting that type of programming.

ETA - There are stations that offer more positive options and they do depict human behavior, believe it or not.

Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

There's a saying that more people need to keep in mind - "what you feed, grows". Furthermore, there's more to human behavior than the smut, degrading, demoralizing, demeaning, etc. If people want more of what is on the news, then keep supporting that type of programming.

ETA - There are stations that offer more positive options and they do depict human behavior, believe it or not.

@ThinkingOutLoud of course this is true.  But you can't dismiss one aspect of it and leave the fairy tale version as though it's the only part that matters.  Smut has its place (though we may not like it).  It's relevant just as much as the fairy tale; unicorn themed views of what humans should be like.  We are complex.  People are just trying to show how complex we as humans are.  That means, all of it needs to be explored.

Super Contributor

I saw this question, and well, I don't know how to feel about this. TV execs go for a different age market, mainly 20 and 30 year olds. I don't think they make TV for us older folks. I grew up with the late 70s to early 90s shows. Great tv back then. I wish there was more tv shows like that. I'm sure when those shows were on, the older folks THEN thought those shows should be off the air. Every generation changes. Still, I wish TV execs would think more of us when coming up with new shows instead of this young generation's shows. Half of the time, I don't know what these young kids are saying. A lot of it is smut. Some of it is too violent. Too much vulgar language. I hate to think that our young generation thinks today's stuff is entertainment. Really too bad. Still, it's a free country. If the majority of people turned these bad shows off, TV execs would be forced to come up with something else. All tv networks are about the money.