Respected Contributor

what old movies haven't stood the test of time?

I watched West Side Story recently, the version starring Natalie Wood, and I thought it was embarassingly dated. My sister and I were crazy about it when we were kid but now when I watch it (which isn't often) I cringe.

The one thing that does hold up is the dancing. Wow! And the "I like to be in America" number--all that energy! 

But the movie in general still looks pretty dated to me.

Honored Contributor

Re: what old movies haven't stood the test of time?

[ Edited ]

@GoneButNotForgotten I agree. The dialog is too corny for words, it's almost embarrassing to watch. But Rita Moreno sure could dance and the other dancers were fun to watch.

A lot of the much older movies I think hold up well, but some..not so much!

I hope someone will post more than I can't think of right now  Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

The movie is almost 60 years old, so I guess it is "dated", but I'd rather watch something like that then a lot that is shown now. Guess I'm dated, too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Although DH and I think the movie is hysterical and never get tired of watching it, Airplane is dated.  I don't think anyone under the age of 50 would understand a lot of the situations we find funny.

I wrote my remarks before reading the previous comments.  I find it interesting that WSS is considered"dated."  Based on a story hundreds of years old.  And that was how some people actually talked in the 1950s.  More important is the story, music and as some have pointed out the dancing.  IMO, that movie is never old or "dated."

Honored Contributor

"Reefer Madness"

Trusted Contributor

It was pretty controversial when it first came out. I loved it and I even had the album with all the songs, which were durably popular. Not motivated to watch it now, though.

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Although DH and I think the movie is hysterical and never get tired of watching it, Airplane is dated.  I don't think anyone under the age of 50 would understand a lot of the situations we find funny.

Every once in a while I watch Airplane and think to myself, They could never get away with that now! especially the scene where the pilot (who is Jim Arness's brother but I can't think of his name now), says to the little boy who's visiting the cockpit, "Jimmy, have you ever seen a grown man naked?"  It's both hysterically funny and appalling, at the same time.

And remember "Leave It To Beaver"? Can you imagine what would happen now if there was this kind of dialogue: "Hi. Mrs Cleaver; how's the Beaver?"

Honored Contributor

Peter Graves is Arness' brother.

GUess Who's Coming To Dinner? Is dated now, in a good way. Interracial marriage is much more common now than when that movie was made.
Honored Contributor

The Goodbye Girl. When it first came out on cable waaaay back when I loved it. I bought the video for our VCR (yep, that old.)

A couple of years ago it was on so I recorded it. Ugh! So corney and out of date but Richard Dreyfuss had a way of saying some of his lines that  I still like and still make me smile.

Another Dreyfuss movie: Moon Over Parador  Really a cheesy bad movie but I always enjoy it!

Respected Contributor

I don't know what you mean about movies standing "the test of time." I think that they relate to either that current era or a historical period, and times and values change. But, I'm not sure if you mean the technology, the music, the costumes, or something else. Like other areas (medicine, physics, music, technology, etc.) they evolved from a foundation and have a history that I appreciate. I have movie favorites and some that I'm not fond of. A movie can't change, but the viewer can.