Honored Contributor

Re: watching "under the banner of heaven"?

@panda1234   I thought it was interesting how the "elders" (prophet's?) twisted their "history" for their own benefit(s).

Years ago The History Channel or PBS ran a documentary mini series about the Mormons from John Smith's boyhood to current.  I wish I could remember the "name" of this series.

Very interesting.  A lot of things mentioned about them I had no clue.  Their early history was horrible! Smiley Surprised

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I won't do HULU due to past billing errors they made, don't want any repeat but I am reading the book, I have to set it down now and them because it is upsetting.  My husband raved about it as his family history is steeped in the standard history (not fundamentalists) and plural marriages, as recent as his maternal grandmother being born into a plural marriage.  Her mother died young and another wife raised her from infancy.  The basics are all there in the early history, changes made when advantageous or forced. 

No offense to anyone as we all have our own journey on this planet but he left Utah out of self preservation, wanting to find a life outside of that bubble; a whole world opened up when he joined the Air Force and lived with people of different cultures, colors, and beliefs.

It's interesting to me how the fundamentalists spread out and up into Canada, like something insidious that only cruel adult males can truly feel any happiness in, everyone else is a pawn although many of the adult females have a sense of protection while they are virtually imprisoned in that irrational trade-off.  Where does any female go when they feel trapped?  They are more than trapped.

Valued Contributor

Just finished this series.  What people will say and do for the sake of their religion.  It's a shame but still going on today. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just watched all 7 episodes over the weekend. This was a really intense well acted true crime mini series.

Some parts were very upsetting. I learned a lot about the Fundamentalist LDS religion.