Valued Contributor

the little stranger movie, please explain, I don't get it

the little stranger movie, please explain, I don't get it, and it is frustrating to invest the time and then...it's over. 

It was labeled a horror movie on the guide.  t was a ghost story.

The actors did a great job.  Was the doctor even a real person, was he the ghost? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: the little stranger movie, please explain, I don't get it

[ Edited ]

I was going to say that, when I think I miss something in a movie or want a better understanding, I look at the plot outline on Wikipedia. However, looking at it for this movie...I have absolutely no idea what the heck is happening!! Doesn't look like they give an explanation.

Summary in the spoiler

Spoiler

In 1940s Warwickshire Dr. Faraday is called to visit a sick maid at the dilapidated Hundreds Hall. The maid confesses to faking and hopes the doctor will send her home. The Hall now belongs to Roderick Ayres, a scarred Royal Air Force veteran severely burned in the Second World War, who is being nursed by his sister, Caroline. Dr. Faraday recalls during his childhood in 1919 visiting the home, where his beloved mother had once been a maid to the grand Ayres family. He broke an acorn from an elaborate wooden carving, to his mother's anger, in view of young Susan, the Ayres' first daughter, known as Suki.

There are intermittent noises occurring in the house, alarming Caroline, Mrs Ayres and the maid. The servants' bells sound without anyone ringing them. A 19th-century tube communication device linking the empty nursery to the kitchen also begins to sound inexplicably. When Mrs Ayres goes upstairs to investigate, she is suddenly locked in the nursery. Experiencing shadowy figures and strange banging noises, Mrs Ayres, in a frantic attempt to escape, breaks the windows, cutting both arms. After the others in the household rescue her from the room, she comes to believe that Suki's ghost is always nearby.

Not long afterwards, Mrs Ayres kills herself by slashing her wrists with the glass from a broken picture frame. Roderick attends the funeral, admonishing Caroline to leave the house lest she might be the next to die. On the night of the funeral, Faraday and a reluctant Caroline make plans to marry in six weeks' time. Later, Faraday considers that the strange occurrences in the house may well be due to poltergeist activity. It is suggested that supernatural phenomena might be the product of random, unintended telekinesis, which may well be poltergeist-like activity caused by a living person (as opposed to a dead one).

Caroline eventually breaks off her engagement to Dr Faraday, insisting that she would not be happily married to him, and expressing her intention to sell Hundreds Hall. Faraday insists that she is merely exhausted and not thinking clearly.

One night, Faraday has a house call that keeps him off-premises. When he finally arrives home, he learns that Caroline had fallen from the second floor to her death.

At the inquest regarding Caroline's death, the maid reports that she awoke to hear Caroline going upstairs to investigate a strange noise in the hall. She also reports hearing Caroline cry out "You!," immediately before falling to her death. After Dr Faraday testifies that Caroline's mind was undoubtedly "clouded," the coroner declares the death to be a suicide. The court concurs.

Months later, Faraday visits the Ayres home while it is up for sale, having kept the keys which Caroline gave him. As he leaves the premises, the lifelike specter of a young Faraday standing at the top of the staircase (where Caroline fell) solemnly watches him before backing away into the darkness.