Trusted Contributor

Re: t.v.: Say yes to the dress.

Got kind of turned off by the spoiled brides who expected daddy to pay any amount of money if they found "the one" even though it was way over budget.

My mom took me to the bridal salon at the local Buffums dept. store in 1976.  I only tried on a few dresses before I made my choice.  It was very "Romeo and Juliet" and was different from all the others.  It made me feel very special.

Respected Contributor

My dress was made of an off-white fabric; it was waltz-length. I bought it from a sales rack at J.C. Penney ($29).

Respected Contributor

I went by myself to buy my dress.  I had just moved to California with my boyfriend (soon to be husband).  Really didn't know anyone all that well to ask.  My husband came with me, more so to drive, because it was kind of far and I didn't know my way around.  He stayed in the car.  When comparing my experience to the ones I've seen on Yes to the Dress, mine wasn't as "nice."  I felt the lady helping me was not very nice and a little rude.  I haven't seen Yes to the Dress on TV for a long time now, I thought it may have even been discontinued.

Trusted Contributor

My wedding dress was made for me by a friend who was a seamstress for a NY fashion designer. I fell in love with 2 different Demetrios gown designs - I loved the style/bodice of one dress and the skirt and train of another one. She made the dress exactly as I wanted. We hand picked the lace and had it imported directly from France. And the train, which was very long (this was late 80s and long trains were in style) and heavy, she designed so that it was on a detachable waistband and I was able to remove it for the reception. I loved my wedding dress. 

Honored Contributor

I watched a lot of them in the past.  I loved seeing all the different gowns.  I don't know why they take so many people with them.  Most of the time it just made if harder on the bride.  I think it would be better to take one person - either your mother or sister or one trusted friend.  In the end, it's your gown -- your special day --- and you deserve to have the one you love!  I never had a gown.  I wore a suit with beading and my best friend was with me but she didn't influece me at all.  It was purely my decision.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I'm catching it on You Tube.

Esteemed Contributor

I was at a conference in Kansas City and my best friend (MOH) went with me. Looked at maybe four dresses and purchased a very simple v-neck, bell sleeved full skirted dress plus hat and MOH dress. No drama, no problems and not even alterations. Dress plus hat cost $400 in 1983.

Regular Contributor

For a few seasons I watched SYTTD faithfully but haven't seen it in years.

My mother and sister accompanied me when I chose my gown.  We liked the first gown but the second one was the one that took my breath away.

I went with both my daughters for their dresses.  The older one was a bit of a diva so it wasn't a great experience for any of us.  The younger one was always a ray of sunshine and so  choosing her gown was delightful.

Respected Contributor

I bought my dress at Kleinfeld's back in 1986 (1987 wedding) when they were in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn in New York.  I went with my Mom.  I had my heart set on a particular dress that I saw in a bridal magazine - I carried the picture around with me for months.  It was a sweetheart neckline with off-the-shoulder short sleeves.  I tried it on and knew the sleeves would bother me all day so I changed my mind.  One of the gals suggested I try on a different style so she brought in a sample dress.  As soon as I put it on, my Mom loved it on me.  It was perfect.  And it was only $450 because it was a sample.  Now that I'm typing this, I remember it was a Priscilla of Boston dress.  

Honored Contributor

I was in my first year of teaching and home on Christmas vacation from out of state.

I went shopping and found a dress on sale for our June wedding at home after school got out.

My step mother never offered to take me anywhere, and I didn't know where to go, being the first of our friends to get married.

I bumped into the dress in a department store at the mall.

I didn't really like the styles until the period after Princess Diana's wedding.