Honored Contributor

Re: "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" is on PBS tonight

It was on HBO last night, I just finished watching it. The program was on when I was growing up, but somehow I missed it, never watched a single episode. The documentary was well done, there were many touching moments through out. I felt bad for the African American man that played Officer Clemmons. He was a gay man who had to deny who he was ( even marrying a woman) for fear the sponsors would find out and he would be fired. Call me a Pollyanna, Mr. Rodgers was criticized for telling children they were special, better to tell them they are special than they are worthless and won't ever amount to anything.

Frequent Contributor

I loved this documentary.  I saw it on DVD from Netflix.  He was such a kind man. 

Just thought I would share for those who are interested. I am looking forward to seeing this tonight.  I know it came out last summer but I havent' seen it yet but really admired Mr. Rogers.  It takes me back to my childhood!

Janet in Georgia
Honored Contributor

Watched this last night.  This was --- well, let me say, I was not prepared for how much this touched me and really got to me!

I did watch this show a lot way back when because my "baby" sister was crazy about it and so when I babysat her she always had to watch it.  

This was such a well-done project.  It showed so much more of Mr. Rogers.  The way he really was and it wasn't an act.  He really loved children -- he wanted to help them and care for them and nurture them and help them to feel good about themselves.  

I cried through so much of this show --- he just touched my heart in so many ways.  He appeared to be a very sensitive man who was so deeply affected by what was happening in the world and was worried about how these events affected children and how they would perceive them.  

The world would be a much better place if we had more people like him who were ready and able and willing to champion the welfare of children.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

How nice to see a man with a genuine love of children, wanting to entertain and make them happy. There was never a hint of scandal following Fred Rogers.