Honored Contributor

Re: "WUTHERING HEIGHTS" LAURENCE OLIVIER MERLE OBERON FRIDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

I never saw the movie.  I hear it ends in the middle of the book.  The book is very long, a family saga spanning generations.  There are two Cathys. There have been more faithful versions of it, but not totally close to the book. The book was very shocking when it was published. It attacked 19th century views of sex, marriage, class etc..  Heathcliffe is dark and brutal and very cruel. The films have romantized him.  Even his death is shocking. 

Even casting the film is not faithful.  Heathcliffe is described as a dark skinned gypsy.  He's a Romani (not the tinkers gypsies of Ireland and England). I don't know what Emily Bronte was thinking, but her book was far and away different from the romantic friendly Jane Eyre.  It's grim and realistic. Emily and her younger sister Ann were polar opposites to Charlotte in their writings. Both were early feminists.

Honored Contributor

Re: "WUTHERING HEIGHTS" LAURENCE OLIVIER MERLE OBERON FRIDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Cakers3  Whenever we have a choice of cable providers and/or packages, the first thing I look for is the availability of TCM.  If it's not there, I keep looking for one that does offer it.  One of the few worthwhile stations on TV, IMO.

@kaydee50   Unfortunately we did have TCM but we recently downgraded and TCM is now an extra $$ to add.  We would have still downgraded anyway because the cost of cable is getting out of control.

Yet all the sports stations stayed.  Ugh.

I think HULU is going to have something soon; we will continue to scout around. 

Enjoy TCM; I'm even a fan of silent movies. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

This is one of my all-time favorites. I am a fan of all of the actors and actresses in this movie.  I also loved all of the emotions that came out in the scene of Heathcliff's return. It couldn't have played out better, imo.