Honored Contributor

Re: "WUTHERING HEIGHTS" LAURENCE OLIVIER MERLE OBERON FRIDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Olivier was gorgeous, wasn’t he?
I found his Heathcliff much easier to love than the character in the book.
Honored Contributor

Re: "WUTHERING HEIGHTS" LAURENCE OLIVIER MERLE OBERON FRIDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

This is definitely one of my favorite movies and I have seen it so many times, always with tissues in hand!!!!!  The cast is excellent, each and every one.  Of course the book which inspired the movie is such a classic.  The music, the settings, the acting all contribute to a worthwhile movie to see!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

My favorite movie!!

Honored Contributor

Judging by the love for "Wuthering Heights",  we have a lot of "hopeless romantics" among us!

It's so interesting that the film turned out so well, given that it's been universally described as a "troubled" production, with a lot of turbulence among the cast, conflicts with the director, etc.  Olivier was furious that Vivien Leigh was not cast as "Cathy",  Olivier and Oberon couldn't get along, there were fights with Wyler, and on and on.

David Niven said he couldn't cry on cue in one scene, so he was given one of those chemical spray mists to "prime the pump".  He tells a hilarious story about how it also prompted green goo to come out of his nose, repelling all within view!  There's more fun behind-the-scenes stuff on Wikipedia...

Nevertheless, whatever the problems, upon release, the film garnered accolades and the awards started rolling in...

Super Contributor

In my top three favorite movies of all time.

1. Wizard of Oz

2. Wuthering Heights

3. A Room With A View

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you again--5pm on the west coast-Frontier

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of my favorite books when I was 12 or so and ate up melodrama 🙂

Like Cakers I no longer get TCM as part of my cable package.

Respected Contributor

Will be watching. One of my favorite classics. A pleasant...

Will be watching. One of my favorite classics. A pleasant way to get my mind off the sadness in my life.
Respected Contributor

Will be watching. One of my favorite classics. Maybe the...

Will be watching. One of my favorite classics. Maybe the turmoil making the movie made it better.
Honored Contributor

Yes, @Catiele, I think movies like this that "carry us away" can be helpful and therapeutic in at least distracting us from the sadnesses in our lives.  Good point.  I pray that some of yours will be alleviated very soon.

I've heard movie makers agree with your point about maybe on-set turbulence can make for a good film!  I've also heard them make the point that happy, focused, productive on-set experiences can still result in a crummy movie!  Too many variables and "wild card" factors, I guess...