Honored Contributor

"WUTHERING HEIGHTS" LAURENCE OLIVIER MERLE OBERON FRIDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

8:00 p.m. Eastern-- "Wuthering Heights"   Laurence Olivier, Merle Oberon, David Niven, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Flora Robson, Donald Crisp, Leo G. Carroll

Directed by the "master",  William Wyler, and considered one of the most magnificent adaptations of a literary classic. Why not, with a MacArthur-Hecht-John Huston-penned script, and the brilliant casting of Olivier and Oberon as the star-crossed lovers?

Just look at this scene below.  To me, it's one of the best English drawing room scenes ever, with a lovely sedate surface, and all kinds of turbulent emotions, at cross purposes, flowing and breaking and crashing underneath.  The four principals are totally engaged-- Olivier, Oberon, David Niven and Geraldine Fitzgerald, but several of them are occupying separate universes...

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/254188/Wuthering-Heights-Movie-Clip-I-m-Neither-Thief-Nor-Strange...

Here's a bonus shot of "Larry" in full, matinee-idol mode, ha:

Honored Contributor

Re: "WUTHERING HEIGHTS" LAURENCE OLIVIER MERLE OBERON FRIDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

Great, great movie but if Wyler is the director, not surprised.  Just one of his many.  Not a fan of Oberon but Larry can do no wrong, IMO!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: "WUTHERING HEIGHTS" LAURENCE OLIVIER MERLE OBERON FRIDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Oh, yeah, @kaydee50,  Larry as Heathcliff, Mr. Darcy, Hamlet, Archie Rice, Othello--  I'll take them all!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Although I haven't seen the movie, my father loved Khartoum where Larry played the Mahdi.  He thought that performance was great.  Not a movie that's frequently on air.  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell Thank you! A gem that is a delight to watch again! Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Another one of my favorite reads and I love it when the classics are made into film, like Jane Eyre.

*sigh* No longer have TCM. 

Enjoy everyone!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3  Whenever we have a choice of cable providers and/or packages, the first thing I look for is the availability of TCM.  If it's not there, I keep looking for one that does offer it.  One of the few worthwhile stations on TV, IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @Oznell  I just love love love this movie. 

Honored Contributor

I also am not a fan of Merle Oberon. I can't put my finger on why. But I like every other person in the cast, especially Laurence Olivier.

I even bought the movie on DVD. But TCM seems to show the movie quite a bit that I have never opened the DVD to watch it.

It doesn't seem to matter how many channels I have, I still watch TCM the most.

Respected Contributor

One of my faves - love it.  But so sad!  Thanks - I'll watch or record it tonight.  

I think I was just not a fan of Cathy.