Honored Contributor

"WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION" MARLENE DIETRICH, CHAS. LAUGHTON SATURDAY 8:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

MV5BZjExMmU4ZWUtYWRlYi00NTBjLTlhMjEtYTU0YjFhOGU1OWI1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ2NDA2ODM@._V1_.jpg

Digression--  Don't you love Dietrich's immaculate tailoring above?!

8:00 a.m. Eastern-- "Witness for the Prosecution".  Tyrone Power, Marlene Dietrich, Charles Laughton, Elsa Lanchester, John Williams

54b4f39a5c6852633b30a39fa781d5ae.jpg

Billy Wilder directed this top-drawer murder mystery, with a slippery, gigolo-esque Tyrone Power being defended against murder by prickly barrister Charles Laughton (in brilliant form).  Dietrich is superb as Power's enigmatic German wife, and Elsa Lanchester a comic joy as heart patient Laughton's fussy, bossy 'round-the-clock nurse...

witness-3.jpg

Too many pleasures to recount in this twisting, turning tale. Knowing the plot never stops me from watching multiple times, as there is always more to savor and discover.  Movie trivia buffs will have spotted a young Ruta Lee in a tiny but crucial role...

Anyway, the whole enterprise is just stellar.  And note to Anglophiles--  if you record this and pair with another English-set film, "Kind Lady", which is scheduled for the wee hours Sunday morning, you'll have a terrific, veddy veddy British double feature.  Alert for that one is upcoming. 

Honored Contributor

Re: "WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION" MARLENE DIETRICH, CHAS. LAUGHTON SATURDAY 8:00 A.M. EAST

What fun (and i adore C. Laughton)...thanks, @Oznell 

Honored Contributor

Re: "WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION" MARLENE DIETRICH, CHAS. LAUGHTON SATURDAY 8:00 A.M. EAST

Love this movie!!  Very "Hitchcockian"  Marlene is wonderful.  Always like watching her and Laughton and Lancaster--what a team! Even when the ending is known, still entertaining.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. One of my favorite movies! Definitely in my top ten. There's been no mystery writer as clever as Agatha Christie and this film certainly does her justice. I may get up earlier than I usually do to watch it, even as many times as I've already seen it. A really great film.
"Wanna kiss me, Ducky?"
"Sir Wlfred, don't forget your hot cocoa."
Honored Contributor

@Oznell  This is one of my all-time favorite movies.  I love everything about it, from beginning to end.  Sometimes I stream it online and watch it over & over during a long holiday (any holiday) weekend. 

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell 

You and I have the same taste in movies! This is one of my favorites. I love the way Charles Laughton and Elsa Lanchester play off each other! Tyrone Power was so good as a dirtbag; anyone could tell he was lying through his teeth. I can't wait to see it again tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

I have seen this great film and will DVR it because it is worth seeing again.  The cast is superb!

Honored Contributor

I LOVE Marlene Dietrich!

My two favorite are lesser known (if at all!) the Scarlet Empress and the Blonde Venus.

Super Contributor

@Oznell  I always loved this movie. Wish I could watch, but no longer have TCM.

Honored Contributor

Oh, I'm sorry you no longer have it, @gramgrandkids1 .  I looked for you to see if the full movie streams live on youtube, but no luck.

However, discovered a later production of "Witness for the Prosecution" on youtube.  It has Ralph Richardson, Deborah Kerr, Wendy Hiller, Donald Pleasance, Diana Rigg, Beau Bridges.   I'm always skeptical of remakes, but what a cast!  So if anyone interested, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjEIsGauX04