Honored Contributor

"WITHOUT LOVE" SPENCER TRACY, KATHARINE HEPBURN FRIDAY 4:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

4:30 p.m. Eastern--  "Without Love"  Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, Lucille Ball, Keenan Wynn

This is one of those "let's get married on a platonic basis, for convenience, even though we don't love each other" stories, and it's rather fun.  Tracy's an inventor, and Hepburn a quirky widow, and she's the first one to crack and admit she loves him.  Plenty of entertaining obstacles and detours along the way.

I happen to love the supporting players here, Lucille Ball and Keenan Wynn-  can never get enough of either of them in films, so this is a treat.

Lucy's "career gal" persona and fast patter with Spencer Tracy in a cluttered kitchen is an absolute delight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqU7Fu9gd4Y

Frequent Contributor

Re: "WITHOUT LOVE" SPENCER TRACY, KATHARINE HEPBURN FRIDAY 4:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Not as well known as other Tracy/Hepburn collaborations...but..it sparkles.

Honored Contributor

Re: "WITHOUT LOVE" SPENCER TRACY, KATHARINE HEPBURN FRIDAY 4:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

It seems like I can go through months and months without seeing Lucille Ball in a movie. And now two movies in two days.

Yesterday on Movies! TV it was film noir day. I caught part of the movie The Dark Corner. With Lucile Ball, Clifton Webb, William Bendix and Mark Stevens. Never saw it before but missed alot of the beginning. It is being shown again on January 28.

I did not realize she made so many movies. I think it was last year, I saw Miss Grant Takes Richmond (I think William Holden was the star of the month). for the first time. 

Also, Keenan Wynn seems to be popping up in alot of movies I have seen recently too.

Will have to check out Without Love. I don't remember watching this movie before.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, @drizzellla, hope you get to catch up on the parts you missed of "Dark Corner"--  really like that one and the nice chemistry betw. Lucy and Mark Stevens...

Honored Contributor

Oznell - I caught enough of The Dark Corner to peak my interest. I think I saw the most suspenseful part that made me want to watch more. But I missed the end. So don't know how they found white suit. I don't want to give the plot away but I suspect I know who white suit is/was.

The Movies! is showing The Letter and They Drive By Night today. Seems the channel shows many movies that were just shown on TCM.

Honored Contributor

Watching it now.  Lucille Ball, third billing after S&T.  Wonder what happened to her movie career?  But fortunately she gave us I Love Lucy!

Trusted Contributor

Love the fashions, beautiful !!!

Honored Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

I was so impressed with the fabric. It really made Katharine Hepburn's and Lucille Ball's clothing look so nice. I couldn't help but notice how nice they both looked.

I looked it up, Irene was the Costume Supervisor with Marion Herwood Keyes was the Assistant Costume Supervisor. I thought they did such a nice job making those women look so nice.

Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@hayseed00 wrote:

I was so impressed with the fabric. It really made Katharine Hepburn's and Lucille Ball's clothing look so nice. I couldn't help but notice how nice they both looked.

I looked it up, Irene was the Costume Supervisor with Marion Herwood Keyes was the Assistant Costume Supervisor. I thought they did such a nice job making those women look so nice.

The cut, fit and fabrics are all superb. Fine tailoring - wish easier to find. Love Hepburn’s silky pajamas - they hang perfectly.