Honored Contributor

"WHERE EAGLES DARE" RICHARD BURTON, MARY URE, CLINT EASTWOOD SATURDAY 11:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

11:00 a.m. Eastern--  "Where Eagles Dare"  Richard Burton, Clint Eastwood, Mary Ure, Patrick Wymark, Michael Hordern, Ingrid Pitt

A small group of top Allied officers and commandos are engaged in devising a strategy to rescue a general from the Nazis by finding a way into a fortress-like castle in picturesque Bavaria.  It's seemingly accessible only by cable car.  Not only that, but the group must successfully masquerade as Nazis themselves. But, unknown to some of the participants, it's a double mission they're on, with another covert objective, and the plot twists and turns just keep coming!

How can you go wrong with Richard Burton as the leader of the mission,  exotic blonde Brit Mary Ure as an enigmatic cohort, and the young, lithe and ever-charismatic Clint Eastwood?

I can't bear battle scenes, gang, a personal quirk.  So depictions of individual missions and daring exploits are more my speed. "Where Eagles Dare" is so exciting and offers a psychological study that rewards with repeat viewings.

Much of the filming was in gorgeous Austria--  stunning castles, formidable mountains, and striking snowbound scenery.  For those crazy cable car scenes alone, this would be worth the price of admission, but there's so much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak6_Yshqhk8

Honored Contributor

Re: "WHERE EAGLES DARE" RICHARD BURTON, MARY URE, CLINT EASTWOOD SATURDAY 11:00 P.M. EASTE

Not only that, but at 4:42 p.m. Eastern TCM is showing something they're calling  'On Location:  "Where Eagles Dare"'.

There's no info in the schedule on it, but presumably it's candid footage about the actual filming.  Hope it shows the cast cutting up and loafing about, amid that majestic scenery.  I think I read that Clint used to burn up those mountain roads on his motorcycle with his acting castmate Ingrid Pitt, during off hours.....

Honored Contributor

Re: "WHERE EAGLES DARE" RICHARD BURTON, MARY URE, CLINT EASTWOOD SATURDAY 11:00 P.M. EASTE

@Oznell

This film will always be a bittersweet memory for me.  I saw it with a friend at our neighborhood theater, The Granada, in Rogers Park, Chicago when I was a kid.  Why wasn't I at the beach which was just down the block and, instead, sitting in a dark theater watching Burton?

Explains a lot.

But it's bittersweet because of what happened to this beloved theater.  Breaks my heart.

Granada

Demolished.

Granada

Woman Sad

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Oh what a magnificent theater, @just bee.  Devastating to see the neglect and ruin.  Yet, even in that ravaged state you can see glimpses of the original beauty...

I'll have to ask hubs when he gets back tonight if he is familiar with that theater.  Although, he moved from Chicago when he was about 10, to live in near by Wheaton.  I often ask him about Chicago landmarks, only to find he has only fuzzy recollections of them.

He never lets a chance go by not to tout the justly famous Chicago hot dog, though....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh what a magnificent theater, @just bee.  Devastating to see the neglect and ruin.  Yet, even in that ravaged state you can see glimpses of the original beauty...

I'll have to ask hubs when he gets back tonight if he is familiar with that theater.  Although, he moved from Chicago when he was about 10, to live in near by Wheaton.  I often ask him about Chicago landmarks, only to find he has only fuzzy recollections of them.

He never lets a chance go by not to tout the justly famous Chicago hot dog, though....

@Oznell

I was ten when we left Chicago!

But you captured it beautifully (as usual!):

Devastating to see the neglect and ruin.  Yet, even in that ravaged state you can see glimpses of the original beauty...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Oznell

Three words: Italian beef sandwich.

Honored Contributor

Well, I got to watch "On Location-- Where Eagles Dare".  There were short interviews with most of the principal actors.  Beautiful and elusive English actress Mary Ure said the locations were so remote and demanding, that after an avalanche, they would travel 3 hours to a location, get the film they needed in five minutes, then travel back 3 hours.

There was a quick shot of Elizabeth Taylor at the shoot.  I guess she wasn't going to let Richard Burton wander around getting into "trouble" on location in the Austrian alps!

I'm lost in admiration for the director.  Don't know how they got all those incredible shots, in dangerous situations.

They mentioned that that Austrian castle/fortress that they filmed at, had NEVER been successfully attacked in all the centuries it had been there, perched high above the world as it is...

Adorable Clint Eastwood talked and bantered as well.  He seemed low-key, fun, normal, not-out-to-impress anyone.  Love him!