Honored Contributor

"WHEN IN ROME" PAUL DOUGLAS VAN JOHNSON FRIDAY 2:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

2:00 p.m. Eastern--  "When In Rome".   Paul Douglas, Van Johnson, Joseph Calleia

Sight unseen, but this sounds like it would be very good, especially for this holiday season.  Paul Douglas (marvelous, sometimes underrated actor) is a con man who seeks "camoflage" by assuming the identity of a Catholic priest, (Van Johnson), who is on a visit to Rome.  Johnson discovers him, and helps him to go on a pilgrimage, during which the men wend their way through beautiful churches in Rome, eluding the authorities.   Van Johnson showed throughout his acting career that he could well pivot from "the boy next door" image and be more than equal to nuanced roles.

The themes of repentence and redemption (in the sense meant in this film) are rather rarely addressed in today's movies, so how refreshing!   Expecting good things.  

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: "WHEN IN ROME" PAUL DOUGLAS VAN JOHNSON FRIDAY 2:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Thank you @Oznell 

I'm not sure how I've managed to miss this little gem. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

2:00 p.m. Eastern--  "When In Rome".   Paul Douglas, Van Johnson, Joseph Calleia

Sight unseen, but this sounds like it would be very good, especially for this holiday season.  Paul Douglas (marvelous, sometimes underrated actor) is a con man who seeks "camoflage" by assuming the identity of a Catholic priest, (Van Johnson), who is on a visit to Rome.  Johnson discovers him, and helps him to go on a pilgrimage, during which the men wend their way through beautiful churches in Rome, eluding the authorities.   Van Johnson showed throughout his acting career that he could well pivot from "the boy next door" image and be more than equal to nuanced roles.

The themes of repentence and redemption (in the sense meant in this film) are rather rarely addressed in today's movies, so how refreshing!   Expecting good things.  

I totally agree that Paul Douglas was underrated as an actor.  I enjoy anything he is in.  Thanks for the heads up.  I have never seen this movie.  It still amazes me that there are classic movies I have not seen.  Sometimes I have TCM on all daySmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Interesting, @lil spot and  @sunshine 919 , there's three of us, pretty avid classic movie fans, who've not seen this.  It must not get aired very frequently, or maybe it only recently got "freed up" for broadcast, like happens to some long-obscure films...  

Would love to hear if anyone here HAS seen this before....

Honored Contributor

Count me in as a fan of Paul Douglas. Everytime "It Happens Every Spring", "Angels in the Outfield" and We're Not Married" are on, I will be watching. In the movie "We're Not Married" Paul Douglas was "married" to Eve Arden. It was such a classic comedic scene.

I just read that Billy Wilder cast him as Jeff Sheldrake in the movie "The Apartment". But he died two days before they started. He was 52.

I will definitely check out "When in Rome" today. I never saw it before. Nor do I ever remember hearing about it. Until you mentioned it, Oznell. Glad you did.

Honored Contributor

Oh, I love him and Ray Milland in "It Happens Every Spring",  @drizzellla!