Honored Contributor

Re: "WATERLOO BRIDGE" VIVIEN LEIGH, ROBERT TAYLOR FRIDAY 9:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

The ending is not what I expected. 😢😢 He would have understood.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A few moments ago I finished weeping through it for, perhaps, my 25th viewing.   The direction and acting were so artfully and skillfully done.

What a beautiful, poignant story of unselfish romantic love.  

I'll always love this movie.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So enamored am I of this film, that I decided to find out who wrote the screenplay for the 1940 version.  The script was so beautifully written and on a level far superior in thought and expression to movie scripts written in the last several decades, in my opinion.

In my search, I discovered this:

Waterloo Bridge stars Robert Taylor and Vivien Leigh, her first film after the success of Gone with the Wind. The film was a success at the box office and nominated for two Academy AwardsBest Music for Herbert Stothart and Best Cinematography. It was also considered a personal favorite by both Vivien Leigh and Robert Taylor.

Three screenwriters worked on this film.  One was a playwright and biographer who had written for The New Yorker, another was a lawyer and a journalist while the third was a screenwriter who had escaped from Nazi Germany.  They each had a rich background in the arts.

Honored Contributor

Great background, @golding76, thanks for enriching info!

Honored Contributor

One of my all time favorite scenes in any romantic movie is when Vivien lee and Robert Taylor dance in the candle light and the candles are slowly put out. Such a lovely scene. Love this movie.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Vivien Leigh, when asked what was her favorite movie, she stated Waterloo Bridge.

Robert Taylor also stated that Waterloo Bridge was his favorite also.

Both of them are wonderful in their roles!

Trusted Contributor

I thought they made such a beautiful couple and he looked so dashing when he danced with her.  The ending is so sad as he loved her so much and would have understood.  But with the ending, are we to believe that he found the good luck charm years ago at the site or someone had told me that maybe he just found it but he had gotten so much older, years had gone by so how could it still be there. Sorry if I am not conveying what I mean too clearly.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

ro1234,

It is interesting to me that you brought up some thoughts on the good luck charm because last night when I viewed the film for the umpteenth time, for the first time ever, I wondered about the charm and how it explained how the Robert Taylor character knew she was forever gone from his life.  I am sure I simply absorbed the ending after previous viewings, but for some reason, last night I decided to drink every last drop of understanding from this film.  And I thought carefully about that good luck charm.

The charm that was with her when she died was, of course, taken by the authorities when they came on scene and removed her body.  We had already been introduced to the fact that the Ladies of the Evening had a bit of a community and shared news among themselves as well as the workers in the pubs.  Thus, news of the death reached Kitty, who then informed Roy (Robert Taylor).  It must have "happened" this way.  The authorities showed Kitty and Roy what items were found with Myra.  Roy took the good luck charm.

The charm was a unifying element for the story.

[The rest of the story, according to Goldie.  LOL]

Image result for photo of robert taylor holding good luck charm at end of waterloo bridge

Image result for photo of good luck charm from waterloo bridge