Honored Contributor

"WATERLOO BRIDGE" VIVIEN LEIGH, ROBERT TAYLOR FRIDAY 9:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

9:00 a.m. Friday--  "Waterloo Bridge"  Robert Taylor, Vivien Leigh, C. Aubrey Smith

Impossibly romantic, sweet, heart-rending.  MGM gives their full treatment to this tale of a chance meeting and aftermath between a lovely dancer and a gallant World War I soldier.  Robert Taylor and Vivien Leigh match up felicitously onscreen--  they have a not dissimilar "energy", and an almost preternatural beauty that in combination is  devastating.

When, oh, when will TCM schedule films like this for primetime evening, instead of the all-too-prosaic morning,

ha. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6CeSwoxwq8

Honored Contributor

Re: "WATERLOO BRIDGE" VIVIEN LEIGH, ROBERT TAYLOR FRIDAY 9:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

One of my favorite movies of all time with Vivien Leigh.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of my perennial favorites, oznell.

ETA:  I wrote my comment without having seen Laura's.  You know there is a golden nugget of a movie here because of the similarity of our comments.

Honored Contributor

You do indeed, @golding76.  There seems to be something about that timeless story that finds its way to the heart, especially the tender heart.

Honored Contributor

I vividly remember Robert Osborne giving the introduction at the beginning of this movie. He was so impressed with Vivian Leigh's acting. He pointed out the one scene when Vivien Leigh unexpectedly encounters Robert Taylor in the train station. Robert Osborne said Vivien Leigh did not have to say a word to convey her thoughts. Her expession said it all.

And because of his recommendation, I watched it for the first time. And I try and watch it every time it is on. The same with That Hamilton Woman.

Thank you Oznell and Robert Osborne.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ah, @drizzellla, your mention of Robert Osborne brings back great memories.  He was so perfect for the channel, with that encyclopedic knowledge, his own history as an actor, and most important, his passion for film.  I know we've lamented this before, but there's no one at TCM that can approach all that.  With the exception of Eddie Muller, and they seem reluctant to let him out of his little film noir category.

If I ran TCM, and had a unique talent like Muller in the wings, I'd be using him for EVERYTHING, ha.  At least until I hired others of his caliber to be hosts.

Speaking of R.O.'s passion for movies, there's a fun little article he wrote, called "Robert Osborne's Secret Favorite Movies."  If you do a search on the title, it'll pop up. (I'd link it, but it's in "The Daily Beast" so sidebars way too political to post.). It's a very fun read.  Quite an eclectic list, including "Remember the Night", "The Narrow Margin",  "My Name is Julia Ross",  and so on. 

Valued Contributor

I can't decide whether I prefer this version of  "Waterloo Bridge" or the 1931 pre-code version (which was illegal to show during the Hays Office years). The two versions have slight differences, but I like them both very much.  I usually find pre-code movies very interesting.

There was another re-make of this film in the 1950s, with Leslie Caron, but for me, it isn't nearly as good as the two previous versions. I never really warmed up to Leslie Caron.

Honored Contributor

Just looked it up.  Wow, @Highlands72, I never knew Mae Clarke took on this role-- very, very interesting.  I love the things we learn in these movie threads!

Esteemed Contributor

Another great movie!!  Vivien Leigh and Robert Taylor were perfect in their roles.  Even though I know what is going to happen, the ending makes me tear up every time!

@Oznell - thanks for these reminders!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

Ah, @drizzellla, your mention of Robert Osborne brings back great memories.  He was so perfect for the channel, with that encyclopedic knowledge, his own history as an actor, and most important, his passion for film.  I know we've lamented this before, but there's no one at TCM that can approach all that.  With the exception of Eddie Muller, and they seem reluctant to let him out of his little film noir category.

If I ran TCM, and had a unique talent like Muller in the wings, I'd be using him for EVERYTHING, ha.  At least until I hired others of his caliber to be hosts.

Speaking of R.O.'s passion for movies, there's a fun little article he wrote, called "Robert Osborne's Secret Favorite Movies."  If you do a search on the title, it'll pop up. (I'd link it, but it's in "The Daily Beast" so sidebars way too political to post.). It's a very fun read.  Quite an eclectic list, including "Remember the Night", "The Narrow Margin",  "My Name is Julia Ross",  and so on. 

I am guessing after the article was written, TCM would have it's "Robert Osborne's favorite movies night". Because those were the movies that were shown. If I saw the title (sometimes it just said "Robert's Favorites" posted on the schedule, I made sure I watched TCM that night.

I saw so many movies that I never saw or heard of before.