Respected Contributor

"Victoria" 2nd Season/Last night

the season is off to a good start, i think, with Diana Rigg now part of the cast, Lord M making an appearance. it is an interesting glimpse into the difficulties of being a diminutive female monarch, in Victorian England, who looms large on the world stage and also values her smaller life as wife and mother.

Respected Contributor

Re: "Victoria" 2nd Season/Last night

[ Edited ]

It’s a beautiful production, but I don’t understand why they use such cheap paste jewels, especially for her tiaras. If The Crown can reproduce Queen Elizabeth’s crowns, tiaras and jewels beautifully, why can’t the producers of this show? 

Honored Contributor

I suspect it's due to a smaller budget. The last thing I care about is the gem quality of the jewelry. My concern is with the quality of the acting and the script.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I usually skip it.  Because of time, PBS British productions are usually cut.  Sometimes up to 20 minutes.  So I don't watch it on PBS.  I have ordered the uncut DVD to watch.  that comes out on January 30. tc., I wait for the DVD version. Doesn't matter if it's Miss Marple or Endeavour.  I have quite a collection of DVD's from BBC and ITV. 

Incidentally, the DVD version has the Christmas special of Victoria included.  That's an extra episode (about 90 minutes) that was broadcast in the UK at Christmas time.  My husband saw the one last night at PBS and thought the production was a little slow.  There really was not much of a plot.  Just something bland leading up to Victoria being pregnant again.  

Honored Contributor

I have been watching Masterpiece Theater since the seventies.  There is rarely a series I do not like and Victoria is another winner!  The excellent acting, the exquisite settings which bring you right into that time, the fact that I am so focused and not at all distracted with each episode and series, all contribute to a wonderful way to escape from the daily routine.  I always look forward to new series whether they are short or return each season.  Compared to much of what is on tv it is a pleasure to have such class to watch!

Respected Contributor

i spent a little time today researching Lady Lovelace - who, with her family (Lord Byron), is a drama unto herself.  fascinating,  these snapshots of history about which we know little.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

i spent a little time today researching Lady Lovelace - who, with her family (Lord Byron), is a drama unto herself.  fascinating,  these snapshots of history about which we know little.

I just went out to read the Wiki on her.  Indeed that's a whole other season of Masterpiece.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

I thoroughly enjoyed it last night! 

Had saved my DVRs of season one and had my own little mini-marathon last week, watching it all again! It is such a lavishly beautiful production. And the acting is superb.

Was so happy to see Rufus Sewell back as Lord M.!

Have been watching Masterpiece Theater (I still call it that!) for decades. Absolutely love it!  "Victoria" is magnificent, imo!

Respected Contributor

@yellowBeetle  i agree i agree - especially about seeing Lord M again.  love Rufus Sewell.

Honored Contributor

That actress is so darn cute.  She has the cutest nose I've ever seen on an actress.

I adore her and her personality.  I was also happy to see Lord M turn up.