Honored Contributor

"Think It Up" show... give them your money? WHAT?

C'mon America!  Let's make the schools better!  Give us your money!

What in the world... did anyone watch this?

What a mess... pardon my vent.

This show was poorly constructed ... and who was even watching... certainly not teens.

The show gave teachers nothing to work with.

I don't get it... Bill and Melinda G threw money at the topic... and so apparently did the stars who appeared and seemed to not know what to say.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: "Think It Up" show... give them your money? WHAT?

They already get our money it's called property taxes. Schools get the lions share of what we pay yearly.

Esteemed Contributor

Throwing $ at a school has never improved student academics. At the elementary level thru the college. We have universities with football coaches who earn 7 figures and glorious multi million dollar 50,000 seat stadiums.

Last nite there was a news story on PBS Nightly Business Report where a for profit company was building schools and providing individual student plans for elementary children. Cost? $20,000 per yr to the parents. They were looking for 'seed' capital, too.

Respected Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

This show was poorly constructed ... and who was even watching... certainly not teens.

I don't get it... Bill and Melinda G threw money at the topic... and so apparently did the stars who appeared and seemed to not know what to say.

So that's what that show was about.  I took a look at it for just a minute and had know idea what it was.  I thought it was some sort of Kids Choice Awards.  Odd.

Honored Contributor

@Bella Carro

Yes... This is what it seemed like to me... a mess!

One teacher was shown who seemed to "have it." She was a physics teacher, probably with only a few honors-level students. Allowing students to go on field trips and essentially construct their own projects (after school) is a wonderful ideal.  I'd give her kids $.

But nobody on the show mentioned the hurdles of legally taking kids off-campus as a group; reducing class size; providing materials, etc

Respected Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Bella Carro

Yes... This is what it seemed like to me... a mess!

One teacher was shown who seemed to "have it." She was a physics teacher, probably with only a few honors-level students. Allowing students to go on field trips and essentially construct their own projects (after school) is a wonderful ideal.  I'd give her kids $.

But nobody on the show mentioned the hurdles of legally taking kids off-campus as a group; reducing class size; providing materials, etc

Oh, you mean real world, everyday, practical issues and hurdles?   No, no, no, no space for that to be addressed.   Only the warm and fuzzy.  PBS had a good segment yesterday on the Seattle teacher strike.  Lots of respect for them.  

Honored Contributor

@Bella Carro

Will need to catch some of that PBS special.

also, yes, the taxes we pay are going to support schools... Where does the money go?🙊

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

I have no idea what this is about .....  WHEN  was this on ....  and what network ?      WHO was the host?   Was this a one time "special" ... or some new show?

Honored Contributor

Think It Up Org

@Tinkrbl44

Above is the link... It was aired on ALL THREE main stations on the same night... I don't understand what they were trying to accomplish at all.