Honored Contributor

Re: "The Way We Were" Monday 8PM ET TCM

@Beacon girl wrote:
Especially the last scene when he sees Katie as he gets out of the taxi with his new girl! That last hug when he asked about their daughter -so romantic! ❤️

There's nothing like a good spoiler to ruin a film that someone has not yet seen.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Beacon girl wrote:
Especially the last scene when he sees Katie as he gets out of the taxi with his new girl! That last hug when he asked about their daughter -so romantic! ❤️

There's nothing like a good spoiler to ruin a film that someone has not yet seen.

You've got to be kidding. Geez. Woman FrustratedWoman FrustratedWoman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@OthereeeenHow I feel your longing to watch Brief Encounter one more time with your Mom. My mother and I watched it "together" last night, though we live in different states.  After seeing the movie for the first time decades ago, I remarked to my parents that I'd just watched the most entrancing film.  They laughed because it turned out to have been their faivorite, as my Dad had spent time in England during WWII, when the film was made in Carnsworth (a town well away from London, which David Lean understandably considered too dangerous). 

My Dad confirmed that Carnsworth Station ("Mitford Junction" in the movie) looked so much like the many British stations of the era, except that instead of having stairs leading to the trains, it had an incline -- which turns out to have been another reason why Lean chose it. The "refreshment room" was actually filmed on a set elsewhere, because the real one was too far from the trains for the actors to be able to walk quickly between the two. Up until a few years ago, Carnsworth even had a "museum" with a recreation of the refreshment room; it drew many BE fans of all ages.

There are other wonderful details online about the movie, the station, the set, and the cast.  It will make you wistful to read them, but at the right moment, I hope that you do, and that it brings your Mom close to you and gives you peace

Honored Contributor

Turns out that Betty White had a huge crush on Redford for many years. In one of the specials on her she talked about it. There was also a clip of him saying he knew about it and was so flattered.