Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle   That movie was fabulous. Before that, John Travolta was not a trained dancer. If I remember correctly, I

read that he learned those dances in just six weeks. He was great, dancing and and he played his part so well.

I would play that album and make my kids dance with me. They didn't really mind, they liked to dance.  My husband refused to dance, or even try to learn, for the entire time that we were married. (21 years)

However, after our divorce, he would go to the clubs and dance, or at least try.

Esteemed Contributor

@Enufstuff wrote:

@Citrine1  Donna Summer was the Queen! She came from Dorchester, MA., not far from where I live.

I didn't realize that.  Thanks for the info!!

Trusted Contributor
I think on the surface there was an anti-disco movement, is because disco had a lot of for lack of a better word, synthesized music, whereas Rock was considered “raw”.
Respected Contributor

This was terrific!  I just finished watching and will likely view it again.  Fascinating analysis of what caused the "Disco backlash."

As was mentioned,  Disco never, ever died.

I moved to NYC in 1980, as the evolution was underway.  The music evolved and was now called "Dance Music".....Discos were called "Dance Clubs."

The music never stopped.   The dancing never stopped.  The Palladium...The Pyramid Club...

House Music All Night Long!  House Music All Night Long!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Some people didn't like it b/c it opened doors and gave certain groups of society a place to gather and have fun. There were anti-racial and anti-LGBTQ feelings about the disco scene especially where there were 'priveleged only' allowed in disco clubs. Disco had it origins in the LGBTQ community.

Really??? Jeez, I thought maybe it started with Astaire and Rogers. Shows what I know, lol.

Respected Contributor

Before it became mainstream and highly commercialized, Disco Music most definitely originated and thrived as a niche subgenre in Black, Hispanic and Gay clubs in the large cities.

Honored Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Disco was an off-shoot rooted in R&B music. I grew up in LA and went to school in the San Fernando Valley and definitely remember the vitriole around "Disco Sucks" classmates had the shirts and did the chants🙄

MTV launched around that time with a stated intention not to air Black artists or music. Rick James was one of the artists to lead the charge against them and David Bowie was one of the first major artists to support him. Of course Michael Jackson's Thriller was the video that opened the door for more pop and R&B music to be aired.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson