Respected Contributor

"The Ugly Truth"

[ Edited ]

Watched "The Ugly Truth" on Netflix expecting a nice little romantic comedy.  With Kathryn Heigl and Gerald Butler, it was a romantic comedy, or better stated, a sexual romantic comedy.  I have seen and heard it all, but this was to me a rather "crude" sexual romantic comedy.  I was surprised at some of the sex talk, the kind of talk and thoughts that would never come out of my mouth, but it came out of their mouths.  Not what I expected!

Valued Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

Watched "The Ugly Truth" on Netflix expecting a nice little romantic comedy.  With Kathryn Heigl and Gerald Butler, it was a romantic comedy, or better stated, a sexual romantic comedy.  I have seen and heard it all, but this was to me a rather "crude" sexual romantic comedy.  I was surprised at some of the sex talk, the kind of talk and thoughts that would never come out of my mouth, but it came out of their mouths.  I gave it a thumbs down!

Thanks for the warning. I am so tired of all the sex scenes in movies. The sex has nothing to add to the story. It just makes me uncomfortable. I'm afraid to watch a movie with my grandsons. Why doesn't the "me too" movement say something about that.

Honored Contributor

It's been quite a long time since I watched this, but I don't remember having that reaction to it.  I have it on dvd; I'll have to watch it again sometime to see what I missed!

I'm not a fan of Heigl, but I do like Gerard Butler.

Respected Contributor

Re: "The Ugly Truth"

[ Edited ]

@Luvtuna wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

Watched "The Ugly Truth" on Netflix expecting a nice little romantic comedy.  With Kathryn Heigl and Gerald Butler, it was a romantic comedy, or better stated, a sexual romantic comedy.  I have seen and heard it all, but this was to me a rather "crude" sexual romantic comedy.  I was surprised at some of the sex talk, the kind of talk and thoughts that would never come out of my mouth, but it came out of their mouths.  I gave it a thumbs down!

Thanks for the warning. I am so tired of all the sex scenes in movies. The sex has nothing to add to the story. It just makes me uncomfortable. I'm afraid to watch a movie with my grandsons. Why doesn't the "me too" movement say something about that.

@Luvtuna  There wasn't much physical sex, most of it was sex discussion since Gerard Butler's character was a TV "Relationship Person" who was cynical while using blunt verbal sex talk as routine.....Kathryn Heigl played a TV show producer and her boss (Nick Searcy) hired Gerard Butler to come on a News segment.  She had her heart set on a certain kind of man and Gerard Butler was providing her with his "male" advice....there were some very funny places throughout the film, but I found the "humorous" verbal discussions of sex play and sexual situations rather crude for my taste!  And to each his own as to what is humorous, but this a bit too much for my kind of enjoyable entertainment! It wasn't what I expected!