Esteemed Contributor

"The Ottoman Lieutenant"

[ Edited ]

This is a well done feature film dealing with history, a romance, and lovely scenery.  Not for small children.  Young adults and older teens would understand.  Handsome young males and a lovely female star.  Ben Kingsley adds his talent as well. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

i suggest that reading be done about its historical inaccuracies - and denial of a major event in human history.

Respected Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

i suggest that reading be done about its historical inaccuracies - and denial of a major event in human history.

I agree @ms traditional there is nothing romantic about what happened. 

This qoute from "Indie Wire" says it all:  

Most exasperating of all is that Lillie, whose personal growth is prioritized over the wellbeing of an entire indigenous people, is barely even a character. If you’re going to make a movie about how a Middle Eastern atrocity helped a white twentysomething find her inner strength — and please don’t — at least have the decency to make that white twentysomething more than an empty vessel for men to fawn over. Ellie might have traveled halfway around the world to prove that all people deserve equal care, but the dreadfully dull “The Ottoman Lieutenant” doesn’t quite see things the same way.

Grade: D

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "The Ottoman Lieutenant"

@ms traditional@AngusandBuddhasMom This is a fictional tale produced around a time in history.  It was not meant to be a documentary. 

Suggested reading about atrocities - well, they have happened everywhere, not just in that country and at that time. 

Go and view it anyway.  Enjoy the film. 

Honored Contributor

i am not sure whether i will see it or not once it comes out on tv or somewhere like netflix, but i have been reading LOTS of horrible reviews about it.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 I wouldn't be surprised about the reviews because not enough horrors and atrocities were show.  But then again, it was the producers/directors call. 

It was not meant to be an exact documentary - just a story.  It wasn't bad at all. 

Oh yes, the USA was insulted by a few lines in the movie. 

Respected Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@ms traditional@AngusandBuddhasMom This is a fictional tale produced around a time in history.  It was not meant to be a documentary. 

Suggested reading about atrocities - well, they have happened everywhere, not just in that country and at that time. 

@Puzzle Piece  no, i know it is not a documentary. there are so many who grew up hearing of the atrocities from close, affected  family members in this area of SoCal. the scars and memories of the horrors are still open and raw. naturally such a subject will engender controversy, especially due to the desire of some to walk away from history which keeps the chapter from closing.   i am sure you understand this considering your tagline.

Respected Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@Puzzle Piece  no, i know it is not a documentary. there are so many who grew up hearing of the atrocities from close, affected  family members in this area of SoCal. the scars and memories of the horrors are still open and raw. naturally such a subject will engender controversy, especially due to the desire of some to walk away from history which keeps the chapter from closing.   i am sure you understand this considering your tagline.

A lot of the funding for the film was done by the Turkish Gov't which is fine if you are not going to put out a propaganda peice that makes it look like a civil war took place where casualities were equally sustained  that is just wrong. And I doubt the viewing audience will pick up on this unless as @ms traditional said you either had family or knew of people who survived it. JMO.

Respected Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom   you are right. if one does not know the long and tortured history of this whole issue. and maybe OP isn't aware,  a movie like this puts a gloss over a blot in human history, thereby opening the wounds of the victims yet again.  that is the danger and of course how history gets recast.  some of us have to shoulder the responsibility of the institutional memory.

Esteemed Contributor

@ms traditional@AngusandBuddhasMom Yes, I understand as I've heard the stories from folks here too. 

I remind myself that atrocities and such have happened since the stone age with all the various peoples of the earth.  It's acutally a miracle so many of us still exist and that isn't counting the obstacles and challenges along with diseases that have taken so many lives. 

See the film anyway and give your own personal critique.