Trusted Contributor

Re: "The Mortal Storm"-- Powerful James Stewart Anti-Nazi Movie Tonight, Wednesday

@Oznell

It’s been a favourite of mine for years (decades!).  

The book it was based on is great.

Honored Contributor

Re: "The Mortal Storm"-- Powerful James Stewart Anti-Nazi Movie Tonight, Wednesday

I have seen this film a few times. Very powerful. Gives one thought.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

Watching the movie now and put it on Pause.  It all comes back to me now.  This is a movie for our time (yet again).  

Forgot the great Maria Ouspenskaya was in it.  In films of the 1940s, she could always be counted on to play the mysterious East or Southern European woman, evil or salt of the earth. 

She was the grandmother in the original Love Affair in 1939, the remake was Affair to Remember.

Oh, yes, now I remember her in Affair to Remember, one of my favorite movies. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Shelbelle,

Somehow I overlooked your comment yesterday. Apologies.  Not because of you -- just much on my mind.

I did happen to see the original of An Affair to Remember and was very surprised to  see her in the role of the doting grandmother.  When I think of it, of all the movies I've seen with Maria Ouspenskaya, only in that role and this one inThe Mortal Storm is she a benign sort of human being.

In many other roles I've seen her in (short, featured parts), she plays the evil, witchy sort of woman or a suspicious woman from Eastern Europe/Asia West.  At the end, I think she was relegated to horror movies.  I'm not sure of that but do not have any memory of her most recent films outside the horror genre.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Shelbelle,

Somehow I overlooked your comment yesterday. Apologies.  Not because of you -- just much on my mind.

I did happen to see the original of An Affair to Remember and was very surprised to  see her in the role of the doting grandmother.  When I think of it, of all the movies I've seen with Maria Ouspenskaya, only in that role and this one inThe Mortal Storm is she a benign sort of human being.

In many other roles I've seen her in (short, featured parts), she plays the evil, witchy sort of woman or a suspicious woman from Eastern Europe/Asia West.  At the end, I think she was relegated to horror movies.  I'm not sure of that but do not have any memory of her most recent films outside the horror genre.

I remember her as being the evil type in Dodsworth from 1936, she left an impression on me after seeing her in Love Affair first.

Honored Contributor

I saw Dodsworth -- forgot that.

You are GOOD.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

You are GOOD.  Thanks!

Thanks, you are good too!! Dont you just love movie and TV trivia??

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

You are GOOD.  Thanks!

Thanks, you are good too!! Dont you just love movie and TV trivia??

Yes!