Esteemed Contributor

Re: "The Magnificent Ambersons" TCM After Midnight

@golding76 wrote:

drizzella,

Maybe I have a suspicious mind, but I always thought Montgomery Clift was "using" Olivia de Havilland to move into the good life in the flick The Heiress.  He was so cunning.

What a kind soul you have, never suspecting him except incrementally over the past several viewings.  

Clift was a supreme cad in this movie.

@golding76

Montgomery Cliff was so BAD that he excellent in being sweet. That's​ what throws you!

Esteemed Contributor

@cimeranrose wrote:

I've never seen this movie - I wish it wasnt' on so late. If it's one of your top 10 movies @Oznell, I know it must be good. I'll never be able to stay awake that late so I'll have to be on the lookout for it another time on TCM.

"The Heiress" is on at 10:30 - that's my favorite Olivia DeHavilland movie. I have that one on DVD so if I fall asleep...LOL. Ralph Richardson was perfect as her father. If anyone has ever seen "The Heiress," did you like the ending of the movie? I thought Olivia DeHavilland's character made the right call but I wish her character would have forgiven her father and been there with him when he died. (I love their Victorian Brownstone rowhouse and it's furnishings).

@cimeranrose

If you can, do ______not miss this one! Will you ever be held in suspense and RAH RAH at the end.

Valued Contributor

......"he'll get his comeuppance"

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I loved Georgie Amberson, what a spoiled brat ! Loved Agnes Moorhead, also.   Where she is feeling sorry for herself and whining and crys to spoiled

Georgie nobody cares about me or what happens to me "It's just Fanny, it's just old Fanny". LOL

That pony scene of his when he rides thru town in his pony cart and trying to run over people and people are hollering "You'll get your comeuppance 1 day Georgie amberson". He hollers back "go suck an egg" something like

that. Cracks me up.

Was that a pun? hahahaha

Respected Contributor

I fell asleep at Christmas and woke up at the end credits.

Honored Contributor

I fell asleep during the Heiress, after her father dies. And woke up at the very end of the Magnificent Ambersons movie. Guess I shouldn't watch movies in my nice warm comfortable bed.

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzelllawrote:

Ladies, I would like your input. Every time I watch the Heiress, I get a stronger opinion of Montgomery Cliff. Years ago, I could not believe that he was stringing Olivia DeHaviland along. But each time I watch it, a little bit of that thinking is chipped away. Now I do think he was using her and wanted the good life he thought he would have by marrying her. Is it because I am getting old? I am getting to be a curmudgeon?

Or was I just slow and not want to think that about a person?

I think that rarely seeing the movie from beginning to end also hurts. Watching Ralph Richardson was painful to watch too. He was SO Good in his role.

Lots of good movies to watch tonight.

_______   @drizzellla , dear heart,

No You are definitely not an any kind of being a ( MY-oh My) 'Curmudgeon', because the first time I saw The Heiress, I could not in my wildest imagination wonder why (Ralph Richardson)-her father was so defiant for her to be even having any reasonable romantic affection for Morris.

I thought that the father wanted her to stay with him until he, being an old man, so she (being an only child) could set a side her life, what life she had, to be with him as he aged, in the beginning.

I never 'got it'- EITHER.... that the daughter, Olivia DeHavilland was suppose..[I never saw it] to be homely.

It's very difficult to make her as being homely.

"I thought the same as you, drizzella".  Ha, they could have used Bette. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, so bad!

My husband and I saw it together for the first time, it was my sweetie that told me he's using her and wants her for only her inheritance. WHAT!? I was so surprised because I thought ``finally she can get away from this controlling man of a father and have what other young girls have dreams about.

So, I guess I'm on the slow side, too.

No, I just didn't get it, maybe because I am just a romantic at heart. What I see of most young ladies and girls she would surpass 95% of them right now in looks and attire.

If Catherine had been another actress, maybe that would have been different- I think so.

I had remembered her so well in Gone With the Wind; her hair the same, no make up or outstanding facial embellishing, that was exactly what I saw, a lovely fresh face, also her clothes and jewelry enhanced her looks.

In my estimation of thought description that provoke, she was too beautiful to play the part of an "OLD MAID" AND I NEVER THOUGHT SHE TO BE DESPERATE. Was she really an old maid?

What is an old Maid these days? Then vs now? Twenty four, twenty nine, but I knew she not to be any eighteen year old, nor Morris to be any mid twenty something.

Is the term ` Old Maid still being passed around and used?

While remembering back to movies of a certain period, girls were married at ages 17, and 18..whoa, after that, twenty seven would be almost over the hill.

I have to pay more attention to that period in time.

Right now, nothing comes to mind.

"But, I do remember some 50s and 60s popular movies ......everyone was getting married at 18, or right out of school.

At 18, I had no idea what I wanted [exactly] to do, but it certainly WAS not being married with my life style.Free as bird and having a life filled with everything.

I was not anyone who would be thinking of being the marrying type / homemaker with the apron on and dinners to fix, in fact I couldn't cook when I was married in my twenties.

Actual fact. Married? Me? Never.

When I did, that was the gift from God that I found my best friend, and the most joyful times of my life. We were meant for each other. Then our little son came along two years later. Joy with a capital "J".

I was beginning my 1st year in nursing school, as a career, choosing between that and modeling in  ( moving geographically away ) to NY. 

And too, in The Heiress, Richardson was ashamed of his daughter's non beautiful face since his wife was supposedly quite beautiful, so he hid her away. Not a proud papa, to say!

So, drizzella, guess I was right there with you on the Wish listing of Love to happen.