Honored Contributor

"The Leopard Man"-- Suspense Cult Classic TCM 3:45 p.m. Eastern

There's now a mini- horror fest going on over there.   Makes me mad they often show these must-sees at awkward times like 3:45 in the afternoon...

Be that as it may.  "The Leopard Man" was another of those low-budget Forties specials put out by the fabled team of Val Lewton and Jacques Tourneur.  if you loved "Cat People", you'll like this.  Lots of atmosphere, and not TOO scary.

An entertainer and her publicity guy involve a leopard in her "hype", and the leopard escapes.  Eerie killings follow.  The guilt-stricken publicity guy joins the hunt for the killer, who may or may not be strictly feline!

This has the wonderful noir actor, Dennis O'Keefe, a heart-throb of mine, ha.  Tough, masculine, tender, shrewd-- a great presence in all his films.

If this weren't enough, the utopian "Lost Horizon" with Ronald Colman is on at 8:00 tonight!

Valued Contributor

Re: "The Leopard Man"-- Suspense Cult Classic TCM 3:45 p.m. Eastern

@Oznell. Thanks for the movie recommendation. I found it on TV about 10 minutes before it started, so I've set it to record. 

Honored Contributor

Re: "The Leopard Man"-- Suspense Cult Classic TCM 3:45 p.m. Eastern

@Day1128 wrote:

@Oznell. Thanks for the movie recommendation. I found it on TV about 10 minutes before it started, so I've set it to record. 

@Day1128

@Oznell

Same here.  I was surfing and read the synopsis -- something about a leopard terrorizing "the peasants" of New Mexico.  I had to DVR it.

Haven't watched it yet (chances are it's one I saw as a kid but I've forgotten it), but I'm intrigued.  Filmed (partly) in Santa Fe.

Hats off to Val Lewton who turned his fear of cats into a film legacy.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~