Honored Contributor

"The Blue Gardenia" Anne Baxter, Richard Conte, Raymond Burr TCM Wednesday 6:15 A.M. Eastern

[ Edited ]

6:15 a.m. Eastern--  "The Blue Gardenia, one of my favorite 'mood-mysteries", directed by Fritz Lang.

Anne Baxter lives with supportive roommates in the city, including earthy, funny Ann Sothern, while she waits for her soldier boyfriend to return.  When he jilts her, in an insensitive "Dear Jane" letter, she goes a little berserk and dates a predatory cad, Raymond Burr, getting embroiled in much more than she bargained for, including possible murder...

This is LOADED with atmosphere.  There's a nightclub scene with Nat King Cole actually in the club, playing and singing the title song, no less!  It's a haunting tune that weaves in and around the action.

Richard Conte flashes his usual high-level charisma as a newspaper man who's interested in murder, and then interested in Anne Baxter...

You almost couldn't find a vintage film with noirish overtones that is more entertaining! Love it.

Honored Contributor

Re: "The Blue Gardenia" Anne Baxter, Richard Conte, Raymond Burr TCM Wednesday 6:15 A.M. E

@Oznell wrote:

6:15 a.m. Eastern--  "The Blue Gardenia, one of my favorite 'mood-mysteries", directed by Fritz Lang.

Anne Baxter lives with supportive roommates in the city, including earthy, funny Ann Sothern, while she waits for her soldier boyfriend to return.  When he jilts her, in an insensitive "Dear Jane" letter, she goes a little berserk and dates a predatory cad, Raymond Burr, getting embroiled in much more than she bargained for, including possible murder...

This is LOADED with atmosphere.  There's a nightclub scene with Nat King Cole actually in the club, playing and singing the title song, no less!  It's a haunting tune that weaves in and around the action.

Richard Conte flashes his usual high-level charisma as a newspaper man who's interested in murder, and then interested in Anne Baxter...

You almost couldn't find a vintage film with noirish overtones that is more entertaining! Love it.

For me that was the highlight of the movie. Love him. I've often thought Ann Baxter might have been a good singer with that throaty voice of hers.

Honored Contributor

Re: "The Blue Gardenia" Anne Baxter, Richard Conte, Raymond Burr TCM Wednesday 6:15 A.M. E

I love this one, great cast and great ending, good film noir.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Great support from Ann Sothern as Baxter's roomate and friend.

Honored Contributor

Shelbelle, right you are, there always seems something so "real" and down to earth about Ann Sothern.  Gifted comedienne, too! 

Esteemed Contributor

First time I saw it. Really good.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Shelbelle, right you are, there always seems something so "real" and down to earth about Ann Sothern.  Gifted comedienne, too! 

Yes, this past Sunday the Decades Channel ran a few episodes of Private Secretary, Sothern was adorable, she could rival Lucy anytime. Perhaps this is why these 2 comics were good friends.I remember the end of this film had something to do with a record playing on a phonograph, and that is what cleared Baxter sending her right into Conte's waiting arms. 

Trusted Contributor

I loved that movie,I ENJOY THOSE MOVIES OF THE 40'S THAT WAS WHEN THEY WERE GOOD!