Honored Contributor

Re: "The Apartment" on PBS Saturday night

This was one of my deceased brother's favorite movies. When I watch it I think of him and feel closer to him.

Respected Contributor

It is set in 1959.  Everything was simple and times were joyful. People were dressed in suits hats and dresses  The great memories of the 50s and 60s before technology.   Mr Baxters rent was 80 dollars a month in Manhattan !!  

Honored Contributor

The Apartment has always been one of my favorite movies since I first saw it when it came out in the movies.  I love everything about it and Jack Lemmon and Shirley McClain are excellent.  I have seen this movie many many times and never tire of it, it is truly a classic.  I also love the theme song, Ferrante and  Teicher had a hit with it both playing pianos.  At the end when Shirley is running to meet up with Jack, the music briefly plays and my heart sings!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

It is set in 1959.  Everything was simple and times were joyful. People were dressed in suits hats and dresses  The great memories of the 50s and 60s before technology.   Mr Baxters rent was 80 dollars a month in Manhattan !!  

You weren't bothered by the subject matter- married men cheating on their wives?  How is that simple and joyful?  The elevator operator was fooling around with a married man and attempts suicide.

Billy Wilder directed an excellent film.  Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine were aces.  Fred MacMurray was wonderful as the heel.

This movie is a social commentary on what was happening in the US.