Honored Contributor

"The Age of Innocence"-- Daniel Day-Lewis TCM 10:00 a.m. Eastern

10:00 a.m. Eastern--  The "definitive" adaptation of Edith Wharton's novel of 19th century New York, what can I say?  Daniel Day-Lewis is-- of course-- perfect as the wavering scion of a genteel family of NYC society.  This is my favorite performance of his, along with his protean "Lincoln".  And I cannot imagine a more fascinating "Countess Ellen Olenska" than Michelle Pfeiffer here. 

If I'm remembering right, Martin Scorsese directed this?  Such sensitive direction, with scrupulous feeling for the period, and for the Edith Wharton-esque sensibilty.  This film will make you want to re-read "The Age of Innocence", and yes it is just as brilliant as you remembered...

(Extraneous book tip--  Another one of Wharton's I'm driven back to over and over is "The House of Mirth".  Same sumptous but suffocating New York setting.  "Lily Bart" is a lovely woman, exceptionally intelligent and resourceful, who is increasingly hemmed in by the passage of time, and her unwise romantic choices.  Lily's a ticking time bomb, who knows that in her tiime and place she has a limited "shelf life", and she gets panicky and reckless...   (I wish she had seen the merit from the beginning in perceptive bachelor "Lawrence Selden".  You can tell in the first chapter he's half in love with her anyway.)

Oh it's a great read.  Digressive rant over!

Honored Contributor

Re: "The Age of Innocence"-- Daniel Day-Lewis TCM 10:00 a.m. Eastern

I love that movie. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Oznell These are my two favorite novels, which prompted me to make my name @EdithEllenLily ... Edith for Edith Wharton, Ellen for Countess Ellen Olenska and Lily for Lily Bart. Thanks for letting us know about the movie being shown today. Heart Heart

Honored Contributor

Wow, @EdithEllenLily, I've noticed and admired your screen nickname before, but didn't make the connection to Wharton.  That is so neat!

Honored Contributor

Love The Age of Innocence.  DDL is great and sexy!  I believe House of Mirth was made into a movie with Gillian Anderson (X-Files).  Haven't seen it nor read the book.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Thanks....just recorded and looking forward to watching!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell Thank you again for letting us know about this movie's airing. I enjoyed watching it more today than when I first saw it in the movie theatre; still, no movie can be better than the novel, which I reread from time to time. Heart Heart

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

So true, @EdithEllenLily!

Respected Contributor

Thanks again Oznell.. Unfortunately i was out this morning and missed

it ...but I did catch it when it was on about 3 weeks ago.. plus I own

this movie... i love it ....

Loved the book and i too love House of Mirth .. another Edith I liked

was the Young buccaneers ....

Oznell .. sounds like we are on the same movie wave length  !!!!

Honored Contributor

Happily, that we are, @Big Joanie!