Honored Contributor

"THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN" DOROTHY MCGUIRE, CLIFTON WEBB FRIDAY 9:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

9:30 p.m. Eastern--  "Three Coins in the Fountain"  Clifton Webb, Jean Peters, Dorothy McGuire, Rossano Brazzi, Louis Jourdan, Maggie McNamera

Nonstop Roman eye candy!   Popcorn-tossing flick about the fortunes and romances of three American women in the Eternal City.  So beautiful, and the chemistry generated by Rossano Brazzi and Jean Peters vies with the gorgeous Italian scenery as a major attraction!   Louis Jourdan as a Lothario prince isn't bad either!

"Threeeeeeee Coins in the Foun-tain"--  let's hear it for that haunting theme....

The film is bookended by two other excellent Jean Peters films--  "Pickup on South Street" at 8:00 p.m. Eastern,   and  "Niagara", at 11:30 p.m. Eastern.

Honored Contributor

Re: "THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN" DOROTHY MCGUIRE, CLIFTON WEBB FRIDAY 9:30 P.M. EASTERN T

Funny, this was on this morning on FMN. 

Honored Contributor

Re: "THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN" DOROTHY MCGUIRE, CLIFTON WEBB FRIDAY 9:30 P.M. EASTERN T

@Oznell - One of my all-time favorites! Louis Jourdan has been one of my favorite actors since I first saw Gigi. Reading about him not that long ago, I found out his only child died from a drug overdose at the age of 29. I will definitely try to watch. Thanks for the advance notice. I also like The Pleasure Seekers with Ann-Margret, which borrowed HEAVILY from this movie!  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Yes!  What a lovely movie this is.  I will be recording. Thanks for the heads-up!Smiley Happy   I'm a huge Rossano Brazzi fan.  

Honored Contributor

As I have mentioned many times, my aunt used to take me to the movies in the fifties.  I saw so many great movies and being very young during that decade, I didn't always understand the story lines.  

Three Coins In the Fountain is such an enjoyable love story and journey at Italy in that time span.  I remember it holding my attention throughout and of course loved the song!  I have seen it many times since and always enjoy the spectacular scenery and the great cast.  It is a good feeling movie!

Trusted Contributor

This movie brings back so many memories.  I was only 7 years old when I first saw it.  My parents took my little brother and I to a drive in movie (in Totowa NJ, it was the closest drive-in, the one we always went to) to see it. My brother, about 3 years old, went in his pajamas, we packed snacks.  It was just a nice family time.

I loved those romantic movies even at that young age.

Of course, I've seen it many times since.  It's dated now of course, but for me it's filled with nostalgia.

Honored Contributor

I am sorry but that song brings back vivid memories. My Dad's Uncle lived in Vienna 7 years and then lived for 7 years in the United States. His wife was from Romania and they were unable to visit Romania. So they decided Vienna was a good second choice.  He really liked my Dad so when he came back to the United States the Uncle always lived near us. 

So he always bought us gifts from Vienna. And one time it was a musical toilet paper holder. Everytime you pulled off toilet paper, the music box played "Three Coins in a Fountain". 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

Will try to catch this, although I have seen bits and pieces through the years.

Coming from an Italian family those voices are music to my ears...and the scenry beyond compare.

I just watched Louis Jourdan in one of my favorite "guilty pleasure movies," the VIPS...have seen it many times but it never fails to make me tear up a bit....so cheesy, but so perfect for Elizabeth and Richard.

At a time when airports were new and glossy and the service for the rich and famous was impressive.  They take such good care of the passengers...And, of course, Liz in all her glory...full makeup, fabulous wardrobe.  It's just delicious.  Cat LOL

Somehow, you believe Louis will go on without her, but Richard....well, he might be redeemed.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman,  I record and watch "The V.I.P.'s" virtually every time it's aired!  Who can resist it--  glamorous, funny, over-wrought!

Louis Jourdan is terrific in that-- in a sort of gigolo-esque role, he still has our sympathy, as do La Liz and Burton.  I think she's so appealing in her part -- the role is well-written, and she plays it with subtlety.  And Margaret Rutherford is fabulous.  And I love Maggie Smith and Rod Taylor!

I like Louis Jourdan in "Coins" as well.  It's another one of those gloriously visual, fantasy, female-wish-fulfillment escapes,  Fifties version!   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell  - Thanks so much for the alert!   I love this movie and have watched it countless times.  I'll be watching again tonight.    They are all very good in their roles, especially Clifton Webb and Dorothy McGuire as the older couple, and who could resist Rosanno Brazzi or Louis Jourdan!   Plus the beautiful theme song and scenery, make it even more enjoyable.  It brings back wonderful memories of my trip to Italy many years ago.

I have never seen The V.I.P.'s and it sounds interesting.  Will have to watch it sometime.