Honored Contributor

"THIEVES' HIGHWAY" RICHARD CONTE VALENTINA CORTESE SAT. MIDNIGHT EASTERN/SUNDAY 10:00 A.M. TCM

Midnight tonite/10:00 a.m. Sunday--  "Thieves' Highway"  Richard Conte, Valentina Cortese, Lee J. Cobb, Morris Carnovsky

Eddie Muller has another terrific entry for "Noir Alley", gang.  I can't believe I've never seen this, since I love Richard Conte, Valentina Cortese AND Lee J. Cobb!

Set in northern California and San Francisco, it's a classic struggle between the family business of Richard Conte and the muscling-in thuggery of Lee J. Cobb.  Avenging his father, Conte lays a trap for Cobb, utilizing the wiles of Valentina Cortese.

I think I've never watched it b/c I was confusing it with another film that was more darkly "gangsterish" all the way through.  This one promises very interesting chemistry between the intense, boyishly charismatic Richard Conte, and the febrile beauty Valentina Cortese.  She had an interesting career in the U.S.--  married to brilliant American character actor Richard Basehart, she co-starred with him in another favorite San Francisco noir of mine, "The House on Telegraph Hill".

Cortese in the other "Telegraph Hill" role comes across as cerebral, mercurial and intuitive-- it will be fascinating to see how she assays the part in "Thives" which promises to be much more earthy.

Richard Conte is a perennial favorite of mine in all manner of noir and melodrama.  Add the combustible Lee J. Cobb, and whoa.  So, high hopes for this one!

Honored Contributor

Re: "THIEVES' HIGHWAY" RICHARD CONTE VALENTINA CORTESE SAT. MIDNIGHT EASTERN/SUNDAY 10:00

@Oznell Did you see my post to you?

The article also mentioned the Paul Bern/Dorothy Millette scandal.  He'd help make Jean Harlow a famous name.  Mr. Bern (allegedly) committed suicide but .... get this...the MGM 'fixers' were allowed access to the sight even before the police, etc.  Millette was his 'common law' (a word not used today) wife committed suicide 48 hours after his death.

One of his famous movies was "Red Dust" with Clark Gable in 1932.  My best friend growing up worshiped Clark Gable.  She was a few years older than me.  She knew everything about Clark Gable.

All of the article about these women and who they were involved with at the time of the scandals is fascinating read.

Honored Contributor

Re: "THIEVES' HIGHWAY" RICHARD CONTE VALENTINA CORTESE SAT. MIDNIGHT EASTERN/SUNDAY 10:00

Indeed I did see your kind and informative post, @Annabellethecat66.  Hey, that Paul Bern fiasco is somewhat reminiscent of the tragic Marilyn Monroe death, which of course had the additional layer of political scandal and cover-up...  

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66"Millette was his 'common law' (a word not used today)"

Since when?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Great summation, @Oznell  Your prose always provides extra dimension for us when viewing these films.

@Annabellethecat66 

Common law is very much in use.  You may be under the impression that because common law marriage isn't recognized in your state, that it is no longer in use.  A dozen states do recognize common law marriage.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

@Oznell
Oh I have never seen this movie...thanks for the heads-up, I will set my VCR.
Valentina Cortese died just a week or two ago...I think she was in her 90s.
Trusted Contributor

That's "I will set my DVR," not my VCR! ...my age is showing!
Trusted Contributor

I'll be sure to watch this one tonight.  It sounds good, and I love Richard Conti!

Honored Contributor

I have seen this movie and liked it a lot. I think it made me like Richard Conte-could take him or leave him before!

I recorded it and will enjoy watching it again.

Honored Contributor

I always liked Richard Conte.  He was born and raised at the same city In NJ I was born and raised at and he graduated from the same High School I did!!!!!  Whenever I see him in a movie I think of this and am proud !!!!!  Of course he was also a great actor, maybe not as big a name as others but always entertaining in his roles.