Honored Contributor

"THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT" HUMPHREY BOGART IDA LUPINO THURSDAY 4:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

MV5BMmYxMTQ3NGYtN2FiMC00Y2FkLWI1ZTUtMzdjZmQ4MDhlNGU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI2NDg0NQ@@._V1_.jpg

4:00 a.m. Eastern--  "They Drive by Night"   George Raft, Ann Sheridan, Humphrey Bogart, Ida Lupino, Gale Page, Alan Hale, Roscoe Karns, John Litel, Henry O'Neill, George Tobias, Charles Halton, Joyce Compton

How about a wee-hours, romantic triangle (or quadrangle), earthy film noir?  With four dynamic stars-- Bogie, adorable George Raft, and scintillating Lupino and Sheridan?

they-drive.jpg

Raft and Bogart are brothers in a struggling trucking enterprise;  Bogie's married and wanting to be settled, while George Raft is ambitious and restless.  He falls for a spunky Ann Sheridan, but is romatically pursued by the wife (Ida Lupino) of an older friend who owns a trucking firm.  It's only one of the dangers that looms....

Love both Ann Sheridan and Ida Lupino, who's picturesquely almost driven crazy by her yearning for the elusive Raft.  The costumers have her frantically overdressed to match her "overheated" character in most of the movie:

Walsh_They-Drive-by-Night_001.jpg

Except when she takes the stand, in her big moment.  Amber Heard vibes, anyone?

vlcsnap-11122.png

Lupino's famous vitality fuels her talent.

they-drive-by-night-walsh-lana.jpg

But I love all four leads in this, a must for noir fans.  Directed by legenday Raoul Walsh, of "High Sierra" and "White Heat" fame.

ann-sheridan-george-raft-they-drive-by-night-1940-sad-hill-bizarre-los-angeles-archive.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT" HUMPHREY BOGART IDA LUPINO THURSDAY 4:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

Comcast took the TCM channel away from me a few years ago and I dearly miss it!  While, in my opinion, any Humphrey Bogart is good, I certainly have my favorites.  I enjoyed "They Drive By Night" many times.  "High Sierra" is my favorite Bogie movie, along with "The Petrified Forest".  Having Ida Lupino in one and Bette Davis in the other adds to the fun!  

I always read your TCM movie threads @Oznell , just to see what I'm missing!  Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT" HUMPHREY BOGART IDA LUPINO THURSDAY 4:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell  That's an excellent movie with great movie stars, real stars.  Love Humphrey Bogart.  I remember the scene with the garage door going up and down up and down.  Eerie. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Oh, boy, @Citrine1 ,   that Comcast has so much to answer for.  I'm sorry you lost this pipeline for classic films, TCM, especially since you have such good taste in movies-- your faves are tops.

Glad you mentioned that scene, @MoJoV !    There are certain well-directed scenes that stick in our minds forever, so effective.... 

Respected Contributor

A great film noir----hard boiled. What a cast. Great view of California before beach and roads were fenced in. What a ride!, and the moonlight!

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Great movie! One of my Faves.  "The doors made me do it" Ida at her best.