Trusted Contributor

Re: "THE VERDICT" PAUL NEWMAN, JAMES MASON WEDNESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I so enjoyed this great movie,watched it again last nite,Paul Newman great in it.

Honored Contributor

Newman was robbed by the Oscars that year. Blah, blah, Ben Kingsley, blah blah blah. LOL.
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Newman was robbed by the Oscars that year. Blah, blah, Ben Kingsley, blah blah blah. LOL.

@bikerbabe 

It really was a tough category.  I mean, O'Toole was nominated for My Favorite Year.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

I was glued to the set throughout the whole movie.  Even didn't think to "pause" it to go to the loo.  I waited it out.  

I was "disappointed" when they showed the final credits w/o letting us know how much the jury awarded them.  LOL  I guess that didn't matter, as long as he WON.

Great movie - I could watch it again tonight if I somebody else would watch it with me, so I could tell them what's coming next.

Could someone please explain how "Laura" came about?  Did she meet him by accident in the bar OR was that a plan?  How was she involved with Mason's firm?  Married to one of them?  Divorced?  She was a piece of work  no matter what - but I didn't get the connection.  I loved it when he slapped her.

I also was surprised at the language used in "those days".....Refreshing for a change instead of bleeping everything out.  

Loved, loved, loved this movie and thanks to Oznell once again.... If not for her, I would not be here writing this......

Honored Contributor

So glad you liked it, @sophiamarie!   As for "Laura", (Charlotte Rampling),  I could be remembering wrong, but I think that the opposing law firm simply hired her to be a "plant",  hanging out wherever Paul Newman hung out, until she could scrape an acquaintance with him.  Then, presumably a r'ship would develop, and she could report back to James Mason's firm any legal strategy that Paul Newman and Jack Warden were cooking up...  Dastardly.  I think there might have been a hint that she was a very broken person, and possibly financially hard-up, like Newman was, and therefore available for this kind of traitorous employment as a "mole" for the other team...

Please gang, if I'm wrong on this, let us know...

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell   Thank you soooooo much.... Yeah, I figured she was a spy but thought, maybe, she might have been related to one of the lawyers.  Just couldn't figure out how that first meeting came about in the bar.  Coincidence or like you said, she knew where he hung out......

Again, thank you for all that you do on these boards.  We need more posters like you.  You not only tell us about what's coming up next, you give us a preview.  From that, I determine whether or not I will like it or not.  So far, you are right on the money.

Keep it up...... I can't stop thinking about that movie and how much the jury awarded them.  LOL  When those credits rolled, I said "oh noooooo"..... It was such a letdown but I realized that wasn't really important - it was that he WON.......

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

So glad you liked it, @sophiamarie!   As for "Laura", (Charlotte Rampling),  I could be remembering wrong, but I think that the opposing law firm simply hired her to be a "plant",  hanging out wherever Paul Newman hung out, until she could scrape an acquaintance with him.  Then, presumably a r'ship would develop, and she could report back to James Mason's firm any legal strategy that Paul Newman and Jack Warden were cooking up...  Dastardly.  I think there might have been a hint that she was a very broken person, and possibly financially hard-up, like Newman was, and therefore available for this kind of traitorous employment as a "mole" for the other team...

@Oznell   I thought when I watched it (yet again!) last night that in that brief scene where Mason pays her (which was done masterfully with us not knowing to whom he was speaking)  that he said she was a lawyer with the NYC firm coming back to work after her divorce.  I could be wrong though.   Her role made me think, after mentioning Mason's role in North by Northwest here yesterday, that Rampling's role was similar to Eva Marie Saint's!   

I marvelled again at Crouse's performance. Honestly, she stole the film in a role that lasted only a few minutes.   And the judge, Milo O'Shea, was a piece of work.   I hated him as much as Mason!

I thought as I watched the film again last night (probably for about the 15th time) how, when I first saw it at the movies when it came out,  Newman made me so "antsy."  I had so much anxiety building inside me as he kept screwing up!  I felt sick to my stomach when his expert witness ended up in the Bahamas (or wherever it was) and not available. I kept getting more and more tense as I watched.  

There are so many unlkeable characters in the film, including Newman.  I think the only character I really liked was the African American doctor.  Newman's face was priceless when he met the doctor at the train station and realized he was African American.

Honored Contributor

I just looked on Imdb to see what else I'd seen the African American "doctor" (actor Joe Seneca)  in and read this really interesting tidbit about him:

"Joe Seneca (nee Joel McGhee) belonged to a top flight singing group - The Three Riffs - that worked the better supper clubs in New York City. He was also a fine songwriter and had a big hit with "Talk to Me" sung by Little Willie John."

I remember that song!

Super Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@Oznell 

You are absolutley correct...Laura was a mole. 

Honored Contributor

Yes she was indeed a mole.  In my post above, further explaining her background, I thought the mole part was being assumed.