Respected Contributor

Re: "THE VERDICT" PAUL NEWMAN, JAMES MASON WEDNESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

First time seeing this movie and have to say one of the best i’ve seen in a long time. I also wish they would have announced the settlement amount. The ending reminded me a lot of the ending of “Spotlight” with phone ringing off the hook. Guess it was suppose to make us wonder who was calling and about what. I’d like to see it again because was sort of multi tasking and missed some parts.

Not related to this movie, but wish they would show “12 Angry Men” again. Only saw the ending during Oscar month.
Honored Contributor

I don't wish we'd have heard the amount of the settlement.  It wouldn't mean much in today's money anyway, because the $210,000 original offer was treated like a heck of a lot back then, in the early 1980s.  Whatever amount the jury awarded wouldn't mean much to us in today's value.

Actually, even back when I first saw the film in the movie theater, I never wondered what they awarded.  I just knew it was going to be a whole lot more than what was asked for in the complaint (since the jury asked whether it could go over that amount).

Esteemed Contributor

@Kindaglitzy wrote:
First time seeing this movie and have to say one of the best i’ve seen in a long time. I also wish they would have announced the settlement amount. The ending reminded me a lot of the ending of “Spotlight” with phone ringing off the hook. Guess it was suppose to make us wonder who was calling and about what. I’d like to see it again because was sort of multi tasking and missed some parts.

Not related to this movie, but wish they would show “12 Angry Men” again. Only saw the ending during Oscar month.

@Kindaglitzy , 

As I understood, and do know something of the law/ courts and the power of this case as was: 

..... at that time supposedly 3+ decades ago, $250, 000 would have been a great sum of money.

I am surmising 25 million THEN- 100 million-now, or more. It's difficult to know in each state where the cut off is. That I would not know as certain. 

The attorney, as he was, being fierce with fighting for justice being brought forth, he would be a strong catalyst in suggesting the amount.

THAT (me being in medicine) and having contributed to court room cases, THIS WAS a HORRIFIC crime.

The surviving relatives, sister to the deceased and her husband/ the brother- in-law could write any amount they deemed as value for 2 lives. What is a life worth?

It is almost impossible to have or find that | Burden ] of Proof, when someone did know under oath the exact truth and ____________she, the nurse HAVING the original copy before it was inked in as bogus, showing fraud /another added acceptable hours OF 9 hours before the surgery ...nothing by mouth ingested. Triage medical nurses have to enter this information for any ER visit, or being admitted.

Beating the corrupt system with medical high end lawyers is just that- greed and corrupt when the truth is given/ known -many Attorneys AT LAW are masters at this. 

Witness to something happening within the hospitals have the better & BEST skilled ones.

BURDEN of PROOF is apparently 100% solidified in the patient's {{hands on}}, or a willing witness knowing of THE truth. 

@Kindaglitzy 

Respected Contributor

@NAES1 Thanks for the information. I see what you mean about the settlement amount. Actually in reality, whatever the settlement amount, not going to bring a family’s loved one back. I now, more then before, see significance of following directions regarding not eating “x” hours before being put under. Thought provoking movie in many ways.
Honored Contributor

@NAES1 wrote:

@Kindaglitzy wrote:

@Kindaglitzy , 

As I understood, and do know something of the law/ courts and the power of this case as was: 

..... at that time supposedly 3+ decades ago, $250, 000 would have been a great sum of money.

I am surmising 25 million THEN- 100 million-now, or more. It's difficult to know in each state where the cut off is. That I would not know as certain. 

The attorney, as he was, being fierce with fighting for justice being brought forth, he would be a strong catalyst in suggesting the amount.

THAT (me being in medicine) and having contributed to court room cases, THIS WAS a HORRIFIC crime.

The surviving relatives, sister to the deceased and her husband/ the brother- in-law could write any amount they deemed as value for 2 lives. What is a life worth?

It is almost impossible to have or find that | Burden ] of Proof, when someone did knowunder oath the exact truth and ____________she, the nurse HAVING the original copy before it was inked in as bogus, showing fraud /another added acceptable hours OF 9 hours before the surgery ...nothing by mouth ingested. Triage medical nurses have to enter this information for any ER visit, or being admitted.

Beating the corrupt system with medical high end lawyers is just that- greed and corrupt when the truth is given/ known -many Attorneys AT LAW are masters at this. 

Witness to something happening within the hospitals have the better & BEST skilled ones.

BURDEN of PROOF is apparently 100% solidified in the patient's {{hands on}}, or a willing witness knowing of THE truth. 

@Kindaglitzy 

@NAES1   The judge disallowed the nurse's, Kaitlin's,  copy of the admission form into evidence.   Concannon cited the "best evidence rule" which states that when an original is available, a copy may not be admitted into evidence because the original was the "best" evidence.   (However, that was erroneous IMO since the so-called original had been altered and thus was fraudulent, and being altered, it really wasn't the original.)  The judge having ruled for Concannon, he then ordered that Kaitlin's testimony be stricken from the record and ordered the jury not to consider it.

So, the jury was not allowed to consider, by judge's order, what I highlighted in your post in red.  And that it did consider it would be grounds for Concannon to appeal the verdict (whereupon an appeals court would probably find the judge committed error with his orders).

Anyway, within the film, the jury was not supposed to consider what you are pointing out that I highlighted in red.  The jury reached the conclusion it did because it believed Kaitlin Costello Price.