Highlighted
Honored Contributor

"THE UNINVITED" RAY MILLAND, RUTH HUSSEY FRIDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

10:00 p.m. Eastern--  "The Uninvited"  Ray Milland, Ruth Hussey, Gail Russell

v1.bjsxODM0MjE7ajsxODEzNzsxMjAwOzIwNDg7MTUzNg.jpeg

Yay, another mystery set in a country house in Cornwall!  ("Rebecca" and "My Cousin Rachel" fans, take note).  This one has "ghostly" aspects, and there's an enjoyably eerie quality to the film.  It starts out with brother and sister (Milland and Hussey) moving to the country, only to encounter not only things that go bump in the night, but romance and long-lost family secrets...

Today's "Ruth Hussey" day on TCM, with her best output on display, including her spirited journalist role in "The Philadelphia Story".   Here, her spunky persona is effectively paired with Milland's patented blithe insouciance.  There's memorable cinematography, and don't miss "Stella by Starlight.... 

Respected Contributor

Re: "THE UNINVITED" RAY MILLAND, RUTH HUSSEY FRIDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Another one of my favorites!

Valued Contributor

This is one of my favorites not only because I love spooky movies, but because it has a lot of really bizarre qualities, too. First, I always thought that Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey’s relationship as brother and sister seemed odd, because they were two attractive, single 30 somethings who decide to buy this big, romantic mansion and move in together. When Gail Russell shows up, things get romantic between her and Ray Milland, and she comes across like a little teenage girl, so that relationship feels awkward, Cornelia Otis-Skinner who plays an insane psychotherapist in love with Russell’s dead mother is as hilariously unhinged as her patients who keep rocks as pets. It’s truly a quirky movie with a good twist at the end.

Honored Contributor

I have mentioned in other posts how I love this movie.  I have seen it many times and always enjoy it.  I love ghost stories like this, The Innocents, The Haunting and I have many books about the same topic.  I also love the house as I do in every ghost story movie.  This is a well done and acted story which has much appeal for me. I wish there were more of these excellent ghost stories instead of all the violence and gore horror movies have become.

Respected Contributor

This movie scared the heck out of me when I was a kid!!