Honored Contributor

"THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS" BARBARA STANWYCK, HUMPHREY BOGART THURSDAY 2:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

2:30 p.m. Eastern--  "The Two Mrs. Carrolls"  Humphrey Bogart, Barbara Stanwyck, Nigel Bruce, Ann Carter

At least once a year TCM rolls out this mystery-thriller, and it's perfect for a dreary winter afternoon.  Make a pot of tea and enjoy!

Married artist Humphrey Bogart has a charming vacation interlude with wealthy, innocent Barbara Stanwyck, until she learns he's married.  But that's soon remedied, and Bogey and Stanwyck are free to enjoy newlywed marital bliss in a spacious manor in picture perfect English countryside, along with Bogart's delightful little girl (Ann Carter).

There are just a few flies in the ointment, like Bogey transferring his affections to a newcomer, predatory and brazenly seductive Alexis Smith.  Then there's blackmail, and those near homicidal moods he gets into...

They reportedly considered both Bette Davis and Ida Lupino (each would have been great, right?) for the duped wife in this, but Stanwyck is a super choice, as she slowly comes to realize what she has married.  She does initial paranoia and 'horrified-dawning-realization' awfully well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChFysLtfKAc

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS" BARBARA STANWYCK, HUMPHREY BOGART THURSDAY 2:30 P.M. EASTERN T

I liked this one the first time around, and I expect I will "get" even more this time.

I love when I hear things like "make yourself a pot of tea."  Thank you, @Oznell

It sometimes makes me recall (and if anyone here is old enough, you may remember, too) when you'd hear D i c k Van D y k e's voice just before his show.  He'd invite the viewer to stick around and "have another apple."  Young teen that I was, I often took him up on it!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: "THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS" BARBARA STANWYCK, HUMPHREY BOGART THURSDAY 2:30 P.M. EASTERN T

That's a cool bit of D i c k Van D y k e lore I'd not heard before, @GingerPeach.  They don't seem to include it in the reruns, nor the DVD's-- too bad, it's a fun touch!

Yeah, repeat viewings of "The Two Mrs. Carrolls" had me noticing more of the humor, with the housekeeper, that extremely befuddled doctor, etc.  Also, when you see it more than once, you can focus more on the interior set design, don't you think?  That's so important to dedicated house and decor nuts...

Honored Contributor

Oznell - yesterday when you brought up the subject of DVR - well - The Two Mrs Carrolls is one of the many movies that I recorded and never got around to watching. And here it is being shown again. Thank you TCM.  Maybe I will watch it this time or maybe it will be a Watch TCM movie.

Honored Contributor

This is one, @drizzellla, that I'd love to watch in real time tomorrow as a "reward" for kind of a bummer, runaround day and end of week.  Hoping to get back in time...

Honored Contributor

Thanks again for the heads up. 

I will make sure I watch it tomorrow. And it is a great day. My husband and his buddies are taking a shopping trip to Cabela's. It will take much of the day.  So I plan on getting my hair cut and a quick trip to the grocery and I will be set to watch the movie. I even made the fixing for a taco salad.  So I can watch Mary Tyler Moore before the movie.

I am so happy things worked out. Thank you for making it happen.

Honored Contributor

I have seen this movie before as I am sure others have and I will DVR it tomorrow.  How can you go wrong with Bogie and Stanwyck.  I have mentioned before Stanwyck was definitely one of the best and one of my favorite actresses of the past.  Of course I adore Bogie and have seen his movies many times.  Thanks for the heads up, Oznell and I know whoever watches this movie won't be disappointed!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks again--The 3rd day staying in because of the rain.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1, rain is the perfect "backdrop" for watching this suspenseful movie, ha.

Honored Contributor

Hilarious that Stanwyck thinks she has to "change" to meet unexpected visitors to the house--  she's wearing a beautiful white silk flowing blouse, and a swirling, floor length floral print skirt, and looks fabulous-- but apparently not good enough for guests!   Edith Head did her clothes in this film.....