Highlighted
Honored Contributor

"THE THIRD SECRET" STEPHEN BOYD, PAMELA FRANKLIN SATURDAY FOX MOVIE CHANNNEL 10:10 A.M. EASTERN

10:10 a.m. Eastern--  "The Third Secret"  Stephen Boyd, Pamela Franklin, Richard Attenborough, Diane Cilento, Judi Dench

I searched in vain on TCM for something non-repetitive, so thought this FMC psychological thriller might be of interest to some.

Smart, troubled-but-hunky Stephen Boyd is an expatriate American, working in London as a newscaster.  He is shaken by the suicide of his psychoanalyst, unsure of how he will continue.  Astonishingly, the therapist's precocious young teenage daughter (Pamela Franklin) approaches him with the prospect that her father did not take his own life, but was murdered.  She convinces him to investigate, with her in tow...

third secret.JPG

Be prepared for this to be "wordy";  some might say, to be on the pretentious side.  Lots of armchair analysis and psychobabble.  But within the context of Sixties' English thrillers, it can be quite absorbing, and genuinely, entertainingly suspenseful and disturbing.  You'll probably know right off the bat if it's your sort of thing, or if you can't stand it.. 

In atmosphere it reminds me a tiny bit of Roger Moore's "The Saint" TV show, but of course that was lighter, and tongue in cheek in tone, whereas this is solemn and 'uneasy'.  It was also a somewhat naive early Sixties' idea of a sophisticated, ground-breaking piece, if you know what I mean.

Chock full of clever British players who went on to even greater international fame-- Richard Attenborough, Diane Cilento (the tawny ex-Mrs. Sean Connery), Pamela Franklin (rogue teenager in "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie"), Judi Dench, Nigel Davenport,  Rachel Kempson (Lady Redgrave) and on and on..

It's a good candidate to DVR in the morning, and play Saturday night, I'd say! 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "THE THIRD SECRET" STEPHEN BOYD, PAMELA FRANKLIN SATURDAY FOX MOVIE CHANNNEL 10:10 A

@Oznell 

Sounds like something I would enjoy, but not sure we get FMC.  I'll have to check.

Love Stephen Boyd!

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE THIRD SECRET" STEPHEN BOYD, PAMELA FRANKLIN SATURDAY FOX MOVIE CHANNNEL 10:10 A

Me too, @Witchy Woman, I wish he were in more movies!

I should mention that for DirecTV customers, FMC is on channel 258-- at least it is for me...

Trusted Contributor

Fox Movie Channel is 259 in my area of Xfinity!  

Thanks @Oznell for all you do for us!