Honored Contributor

Re: "THE THIN MAN" MOVIES MONDAY UNTIL PRIME TIME EASTERN TCM; THEN EDDIE MULLER AND GANG

I was shocked when they said Eddie was the oldest.  I haven't looked it up, but suspect it's probably by very little.

I'm also looking forward to more talk before the other movies.

Have a wonderful night, @Oznell and all TCM movie-lovers

Silent fireworks, my favorite kind!

Image result for fireworks

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: "THE THIN MAN" MOVIES MONDAY UNTIL PRIME TIME EASTERN TCM; THEN EDDIE MULLER AND GANG

I found the hosts comments before each movie last night most telling.

I was surprised when Ben Mankiewicz said he did not care for That's Entertainment Part I and Part II. And Karger admitting that he have never seen some of the movies that were in those movies.

Made me miss Robert Osbourne. He knew many of the actors, seen probably all the movies and knew what he was talking about. 

Honored Contributor

Exactly, @drizzellla.  Although I do see glimmers of potential in Dave K. and Alicia (I hope I'm getting her name right.)  Have seen interviews with them that suggest that they at least have a long-standing passion for, and understanding of classic film.

If only they would make Eddie the flagship host of the channel, and then bring those two along, under his tutelage, I think they'd have something!  He seemed a bit subdued last night.

Oh, by the way, @drizzellla, if you're going to be around at all today, did you notice it's a day of screwball comedy?  Some real gems.

Honored Contributor

Oznell - I just finished watching Libeled Lady. I swore when I turned off the TV at 4:45AM that I would not turn on the TV today.

Then my husband pointed out Libeled Lady was starting in 15 minutes. Am I a sucker.

Yes, I am impressed with Eddie Muller. That he will watch movies in other genre. He even talked about seeing Broadway Melody of 1940 (?) in the theatre. I thought he can't be that old. So I am guessing it was a re-release.

And I agree about both David and Alicia. Especially Alicia she has a spark in her about movies. And David seems to be open to learning more.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

From what I found, here are Eddie's and Ben's ages.  I didn't find Dave's or Alicia's.

Eddie Muller - 60

Ben Mankiewicz - 51

Funny, I always thought Ben looked/seemed older.  Maybe one reason is I don't see 60 as "old."

Here's a story on Dave and Alicia from earlier this year:

https://www.hollywoodreporter DOT com/news/dave-karger-alicia-malone-join-tcm-as-full-time-hosts-1089333

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I don't remember seeing the movie but immediately when I saw the heading I thought about Peter Lawford on TV as The Thin Man.

How in the name of Heaven did I remember this?  Even that it starred Peter Lawford!

Here's a quick info on Peter Lawford's Thin Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnWGRJkIRIw

Honored Contributor

Knowing Eddie was a fellow boomer, and that he'd been kicking around as a writer and film restoration guy for a long time, I thought he might be even older than 60, @GingerPeach.  Here's hoping he stays with the channel way, way long, way past conventional retirement age! 

@Annabellethecat66, interesting, I can see Peter Lawford being an effective "Thin Man" in the TV series, with that certain "savoir faire" he had.  (Of course though, I remain loyal to adorable, hilarious, understated William Powell, who will always be the definitive movie "Thin Man" to me!)

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  So you never saw Peter Lawford in the TV show "The Thinman"?

It's so weird to me the things I do remember.  I have a theory that as we get old(er) we aren't making many new memories so we are able to go back with excellent memory recall different people, things and time in our lives.