Honored Contributor

Re: "THE THIN MAN" MOVIES MONDAY UNTIL PRIME TIME EASTERN TCM; THEN EDDIE MULLER AND GANG

I just occurred to me - I AM OLD!

Here I am all excitied about watching the Thin Man and That's Entertainment on TV on New Year's Eve. I have no interest in going out to a nice restaurant or going to a party. Not for me. I would rather stay home.

I am no longer the adventursome girl who went to Time Square in New York on New Year's Eve or attended numerous parties or went out with friends to nice restaurants. 

I am just happy to stay home and watch old movies on TV. I can't think of any other way I care to spend the evening.

Have a Happy New Year everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "THE THIN MAN" MOVIES MONDAY UNTIL PRIME TIME EASTERN TCM; THEN EDDIE MULLER AND GANG

@Oznell- The Thin Man movies are just the best movies ever.  William Powell and Myrna Loy are perfect together and have the greatest on-screen chemistry.  The supporting cast was always Hollywood's wonderful character actors.

Honored Contributor

You said it so well, @qbetzforreal

Honored Contributor

I've been running around all morning, and finally now have a chance to tune in.  Nick and Nora are in a night club (one of their ideal natural habitats), in "Another Thin Man", and I love the arch banter between them-- so witty and illustrative of their playful relationship...

Respected Contributor

Love The Thin Man Actually I think we will do pay per view tonight. Going to a little diner near us for an early dinner.
Happy New Year to you and family.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Those who enjoy these films probably also would enjoy the Mr. and Mrs. North mystery novels writenn by Frances and Richard Lockridge in the 1940s-1960s. It's hard to find the print versions of these, but they are available as ebooks (e.g., Kindle).

The North and Charles couples are similar in many ways. There's lots of humor in the Lockridge books.

Honored Contributor

That's great to know, @nomless.  I've heard of "Mr. and Mrs. North", but only in terms of the Fifties TV show.  Didn't realize they were based on a series of books-- what fun!

Honored Contributor

I just caught the end of the segment with Elizabeth Taylor hosting on "That's Entertainment"  Part I.   She looked so beautiful in a shimmery blue dress, and a sort of boho looking carved amethyst necklace.

So mad I missed the intro to "That's Entertainment", since Eddie Muller was supposed to be one of the presenters.  If by any chance anyone here saw it, hope you'll report...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell

Eddie was heavily teased about being the oldest of the four hosts, and he was given the honor of introducing the first film with more teasing, such as Ben's telling him he wanted Eddie to intro the film because he "wasn't sure he'd be around long enough" or something to that effect.

ETA:  Eddie's intro was brief and to the point.  No embellishment.

Prior to that, each host offered favorite snippets, such as Dave's choice of the Eleanor Powell/Fred Astaire number.  Alicia oozed about the layers of enjoyment from these films, and how lovely it was to view them through a modern lens, and how she was inspired to do a horrible tap dance in her living room since the films make it look easy, but of course, it's not.

I wish there'd been even more chit-chat.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Excellent eye-witness reporting, @GingerPeach!  You are so good. Sounds fun-- wish I'd seen it.

I'm sticking around to see what they say at the beginning of Part II.   BTW, I never think of Eddie as "old", it's funny that that would be part of their little schtick tonite.  He's so smart and lively he puts to shame some others in TV who don't have his talent for what he does.  I just gave hubby your report and he had the same reaction I do.

I do think Dave Karger might have a glimmer of personality, although they seem to still keep him on a short leash...