Honored Contributor

"THE TALK OF THE TOWN" CARY GRANT, JEAN ARTHUR SUNDAY 10:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

MV5BOGYzYWRhNGQtMWVmOC00M2RjLWI5ODctZDg5ZmVkMzEwOGYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2MzI2Ng@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

10:15 p.m. Eastern, Sunday   "The Talk of the Town"  Cary Grant, Jean Arthur, Ronald Colman, Edgar Buchanan, Glenda Farrell

Fun, frothy yet also serious, love triangle with the superb Grant, Arthur and Colman in an absurd situation.  Jean Arthur's helping Cary Grant, an anarchist who's been framed, elude the police, and staid lawyer and high court candidate Ronald Colman gets pulled into the scheme...

Not aired as often as some of Cary's other films, but he and the wonderful Jean Arthur make it "must see" for their fans. Colman is very strong too.  Directed by the gifted George Stevens.

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE TALK OF THE TOWN" CARY GRANT, JEAN ARTHUR SUNDAY 10:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I haven't seen this movie but from your description, Oznell, I will DVR it.  Cary Grant is always outstanding, thanks for the heads up. 

Super Contributor

Re: "THE TALK OF THE TOWN" CARY GRANT, JEAN ARTHUR SUNDAY 10:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Wonderfull movie

Honored Contributor

One of the things that sets this apart, aside from the superior script and the interesting philosophical debates in which Grant and Colman engage, is Grant's character.

In only a few of his films, do you glimpse depths within him that somewhat belie the light-hearted farceur that we all love.  There's both a sliver of darkness, and a little "out there" kookiness in his anarchist character, which makes him so fascinating.  Cary's shown hints of this before only rarely and sparingly, like in "Arsenic and Old Lace", among others...

Anyway, that complexity we get to see in him struck me as one of the many satisfactions of this movie!

Forgot to mention that this received 7 Oscar nominations.