Honored Contributor

"THE SANDPIPER" ELIZABETH TAYLOR, RICHARD BURTON SATURDAY 9:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

9:45 p.m. Eastern--  "The Sandpiper"  Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Eva Marie Saint, Charles Bronson, Robert Webber, Morgan Mason

6a00e54ffd96ba88340147e36ade38970b.jpg

Suds, sand and sea!   I know from discussions past that there are other "Sandpiper" fans on here.  It's just so delicious, with vintage Liz as an untamed artist-mother, in conflict with her young son's clergyman school director, a very 'susceptible' Richard Burton.

Director Vincente Minelli just excels with this kind of material, and the location shots around Big Sur are spectacular.  Elizabeth is supposed to be a very Sixties' exponent of "if it feels good, do it!",  so there's a lot of silly philosophizing about brave free-spiritedness; while meanwhile, innocent bystanders like Burton's wife (Eva Marie Saint, wasted in a small role), get hurt...

A radiant Elizabeth and Richard are mesmerizing on screen together, and stalwart, appealing character players pop up like Robert Webber, as an aging cad.  James Mason's real life son Morgan, plays Taylor's charming little boy.

If all that eye candy weren't enough, there's those opening credits, with the haunting score of "The Shadow of Your Smile" overlaying breathtaking shots of Big Sur:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbT0zk588ds 

Super Contributor

Re: "THE SANDPIPER" ELIZABETH TAYLOR, RICHARD BURTON SATURDAY 9:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Thank you @Oznell . I need to record this for later viewing. Luscious movie indeed.

Respected Contributor

Re: "THE SANDPIPER" ELIZABETH TAYLOR, RICHARD BURTON SATURDAY 9:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Love this movie. I may get comfy soon and put it on. Thanks for letting us know.
Honored Contributor

Glad to, @bathina..   Just in case you didn't notice, it's coming on tomorrow, Saturday night, and not tonight.  I have a tendency to alert one day ahead, which is good for the widest swath of people to notice and plan accordingly, but can be a bit confusing.  Whenever you watch, enjoy! 

Respected Contributor

Thanks @Oznell. I just slid under the covers, lol. That's ok though, Zorba the Greek is on and now I have something to look forward to tomorrow night. My friend is coming to stay until Christmas, so we'll watch together. Makes it even sweeter 😍
Respected Contributor

That song .. and the scenery of Big Sur ... Delicious ....

Honored Contributor

Yeah, @Big Joanie -- the song, the misty coastline, the birds wheeling overhead--  swoon!   That, and the fun, slightly bohemian Sixties'-perfect wardrobe and jewelry with which they costume 'la Liz'--- it's a visual bonanza... 

Honored Contributor

Best part for me, the song!!!

Honored Contributor

The shadow of your smile,

when youuuuuu are gone

Will color all my dreeeeams,

and light the dawn....

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell 

Alread set to record---shall save it for tomorrow.

Thanks oznell---appreciate what you do.