Honored Contributor

"THE PEOPLE AGAINST O'HARA" SPENCER TRACY MIDNIGHT EASTERN AND SUNDAY 10:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

Midnight Eastern tonight, and 10:00 a.m. Eastern Sunday--

"The People Against O'Hara"  Spencer Tracy, Diana Lynn, John Hodiak, Pat O'Brien, James Arness, Richard Anderson

An interesting departure for Eddie Muller in "Noir Alley".  Tracy is a lawyer whose career has waned, tempted into taking the murder case of a young man (James Arness) from his old neighborhood.  His devoted adult daughter (Diana Lynn) opposes his involvement, fearing that he will lapse back into the alcohol abuse that helped derail his career.

Tracy uncovers underworld facts and a dangerous love affair that materially affect the case, but is stressed and torn by ethical considerations....

I've only seen snippets of this hard-hitting urban parable, but what I saw was well done, and Spencer Tracy, as always, is an utter pleasure to watch, in a role that might have uneasily resembled real life for him.  Also has his close chum, Pat O'Brien, and the always interesting and seriously hunky John Hodiak.  Powerful, revealing, with masterful noir black-and-white cinematography and expert character players.  Potentially overly downbeat for sensitive viewers.

Honored Contributor

Rero: "THE PEOPLE AGAINST O'HARA" SPENCER TRACY MIDNIGHT EASTERN AND SUNDAY 10:00 A.M. EASTE

I am not familiar with this movie but have it set on DVR for tomorrow morning based on your comments, Oznell.  I always enjoyed Spencer Tracy and especially liked him in Desk Set and the movies he starred in with Hepburn.  I also loved his version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.  Father of the Bride and Guess who's Coming to Dinner, It's a Mad Mad World showed his lighter side and of course Inherit the Wind and Judgement at Nuremberg were excellent.  Spencer did it all during his career and his acting superb in each and every movie he was in, a great talent who despite his demons stood out in movie history.

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE PEOPLE AGAINST O'HARA" SPENCER TRACY MIDNIGHT EASTERN AND SUNDAY 10:00 A.M. EASTE

That's a great summary, @spiderw.  At times I've thought to myself, oh, Spencer Tracy isn't one of my favorites.  Then I'll see him in a film, one in which he does that patented Tracy natural, subtle and penetrating job of portraying a character.  Then I go, how could I have shortchanged him-- he's brilliant.

Respected Contributor

Re: "THE PEOPLE AGAINST O'HARA" SPENCER TRACY MIDNIGHT EASTERN AND SUNDAY 10:00 A.M. EASTE

I DVR'd this movie.  It looks interesting.