Honored Contributor

"THE NUN'S STORY" AUDREY HEPBURN SUNDAY 3:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

nun5.jpg

3:00 p.m. Eastern--   "The Nun's Story"   Audrey Hepburn, Dean Jagger, Peter Finch, Edith Evans, Peggy Ashcroft, Mildred Dunnock

Radiant Audrey Hepburn is "Sister Luke" in this frequently-aired, always moving story of a spiritual life.  A really superb treatment, set against the drama and turmoil of the then-Belgian Congo and World War II Europe.

The supporting actors are great too-- Peter Finch at his most charismatic, Edith Evans, and the wonderfully acerbic performance of Dean Jagger as Audrey's skeptical but loving father, is a small gem.

Trusted Contributor

Re: "THE NUN'S STORY" AUDREY HEPBURN SUNDAY 3:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I'll be watching!

Esteemed Contributor

I always watch for Colleen Dewhurst's film debut as the "Archangel Gabriel " who attacks Sister Luke in the sanitarium:  "May I have a drink of water?  The fish was so salty...."

Esteemed Contributor

Nuns-Story-Dewhurst.pngNuns_Story-434-FC13.jpgNuns_Story-434-A846.jpg

Honored Contributor

One of Audrey's best roles.  I understand she spent a lot of time with the author of the book before taking on the part.  And Peter Finch is perfect along with the great direction by Zinnemann.

Esteemed Contributor

Five then current and future Oscar winners in the cast:  Audrey, Peter Finch, Dean Jagger, Dame Peggy Ashcroft and Beatrice Straight. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting great pictures, @Johnnyeager !   I had forgotten Colleen Dewhurst in this.  She looked quite different to me in this role, compared to subsequent ones.  A showy debut for sure!