Honored Contributor

"THE MORE THE MERRIER" JEAN ARTHUR JOEL MCCREA WEDNESDAY 6:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

6:00 p.m. Eastern  "The More the Merrier"  Jean Arthur, Joel McCrea, Charles Coburn

Charming series of merry mix-ups result in Arthur, McCrea, and Coburn having to share a cramped apartment in a Washington D.C. afflicted with a war-time housing shortage.  It's hard to imagine three more engaging performers--  Coburn is at his crafty and lovable best (an Oscar performance) at helping to engineer the romance of the other two, and Jean Arthur is fizzy and funny, and Joel McCrea adorable and leading man-magnetic as always.

Today's a bit of a Jean Arthur fest, and two other highlights:

12:15 p.m. "The Ex-Mrs. Bradford"  Jean Arthur, William Powell    Murder mystery with the incomparable team of Arthur and Powell.

1:45 p.m.  "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town"  Gary Cooper is a small town poet who inherits a fortune, and Jean Arthur is the reporter who thinks he makes a great story.

Arthur and McCrea, so cute:

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/1068790/More-The-Merrier-The-Movie-Clip-No-Strings-Attached.html

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE MORE THE MERRIER" JEAN ARTHUR JOEL MCCREA WEDNESDAY 6:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Oznell that is a movie I could watch over and over. Just to watch Charles Coburns antics.

Enjoy! 

We are away and sadly our hotel has no  TCM.

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE MORE THE MERRIER" JEAN ARTHUR JOEL MCCREA WEDNESDAY 6:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Have fun and safe travels, @drizzellla.

Valued Contributor

All three of these Jean Arthur movies are great entertainment.

"The More the Merrier" reminds me of another World War II "housing-shortage" movie that I enjoyed very much, "Standing Room Only," with Fred MacMurray and Paulette Goddard.  Not sure if TCM has ever shown that one, but "The More the Merrier" seems to show up fairly frequently on TCM.

Jean Arthur was in a lot of really good movies, and I absolutely love William Powell in anything. The "Ex-Mrs. Bradford" is not nearly the best for either of them, but still a fun one to watch.

Honored Contributor

Making a note of "Standing Room Only", @Highlands72!

Honored Contributor

Of course I've seen it but was able to catch snippets of it tonite. So cute. She sure had a cute little figure, didn't she? So trim!

I loved that one scene of the girls at work all standing in a long line putting in their time cards. A guy walks by and all the girls, as a group, give a big wolf whistle. So funny. 

Of course the whole movie was good. Jean Arthur is a doll but for some reason she's always made me quite nervous. Crazy, I know.

Respected Contributor

Didn't catch "The More The Merrier" but I did watch "You Can't Take It With You". It was funny and poignant and madcap at some points. Really enjoyed Jean Arthur and Jimmy Stewart playing the girl from the other side of the tracks meets the down to earth boy of a rich family.

Respected Contributor

Love the movie and love the cast. Jean Arthur was one of the best actresses of her time.

Valued Contributor

@bathina wrote:

Didn't catch "The More The Merrier" but I did watch "You Can't Take It With You". It was funny and poignant and madcap at some points. Really enjoyed Jean Arthur and Jimmy Stewart playing the girl from the other side of the tracks meets the down to earth boy of a rich family.

---

I like that one, too; very funny, with Lionel Barrymore at the head of a very zany family.

Valued Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

Of course I've seen it but was able to catch snippets of it tonite. So cute. She sure had a cute little figure, didn't she? So trim!

I loved that one scene of the girls at work all standing in a long line putting in their time cards. A guy walks by and all the girls, as a group, give a big wolf whistle. So funny. 

Of course the whole movie was good. Jean Arthur is a doll but for some reason she's always made me quite nervous. Crazy, I know.

---

I can't say she made me nervous, but, for me,  her voice takes a bit of  getting used to. 

I read somewhere that she was a shy person, and had recurring problems with "stage fright," which seems unusual for someone who was so successful in so many good movies.